Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drum brake?

is there a complete overhaul kit for rear drum brakes

I am not aware of such a thing. You virtually never have to replace 100% of the stuff inside the drum...

"Complete overhaul" would be:
    Hardware kit (includes all springs)
    Self-Adjuster (but these last pretty much forever if you clean the threads up)
    Self-Adjuster cable
    I guess maybe the other metal moving parts like the parking brake arm and the strut across the top.
    Wheel cylinder (or hone the old one and use a rebuild kit)
    Shoes
    Drum

Buy what you need and rebuild as you see fit. RockAuto is your friend for drum stuff. Significantly cheaper than buying those bits and pieces at any major auto parts retailer.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

yea I usually like to look at the brakes before deciding what to buy. Often the replacement hardware is inferior to the Stock components so if they are in good condition...... e.g. springs, adjuster, adjuster cable.

There are spring kits and self adjuster kits. Plus the shoes and cylinders if needed. You might want to try name brands like Wagner, Rabestos etc. So really shoes, cylinders, spring kit, left adjuster kit, right adjuster Kit.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

all this work just to pass inspection if they pull a rear tire.i haven't or cared to look cause i have a complete rear with disks as usual i have no time right now

Comment

Well, this is of course if nothing inside the drums are damaged. You're probably fine, but when we bought Ashley's '92 F150 it had a low brake pedal. Pulled the drums off and the passenger side drum was missing the lower return spring, the self adjuster had turned into a lump of metal from years of spinning around in the drum, the parking brake arm was bent as was the parking brake lever which was supposed to engage the primary shoe when engaged. Had I known that in advance I would have gotten junkyard stuff but used a 5lb hammer and pavement to straighten the stuff out good enough to work without issue.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The overhaul kit is called disk brake swap.

Comment

^ how I fixed mine
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X