No announcement yet.

2000 GM Restore and Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good point. Better now than later. The $500 I have for the throttle body and porting the plenum is now going to go to a trans rebuild. I put a new trans filter, fluid and did some Lucas too so its still drive-able but gotta park it for now. Found a kit on Jegs that says its all performance but there are no horsepower ratings and its only $420 bucks?? any thoughts or input??

Comment

transmission kit will not change horsepower ratings. It only makes the shifts firmer and may make engagement better and fluid flow slightly better. This may translate to better times as there's less time spent waiting for full engagement, but HP will stay the same as that's all engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OH yeah i know it wont make the hp more. but the kit has an "up to" rating for what the trans will hold. I found one for almost $700 on monstertransmissions.com or something like that and that kit has a rating to handle up to 450 hp.

Comment

IIRC, the stock trans should handle 400-450 ft lbs with a proper build and j-mod. No real need for a kit for that. And if you're sticking with the stock 2-valve setup, even with boost, you won't be besting that without a lot of work (stock engine won't handle more than about 8 pounds of boost). The rear axle is the soft spot. Welding the tubes to the center and beefing up the control arms would go a long way. The real question is what is your end game. Where do you want to take this and how much are you wanting to spend on it? I'd start with a j-mod on the trans and when you get to a place where you need more support, then build it up more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

That is awesome advise Sly. Thank you. Sounds like it will save me a lot of money to just do a stock rebuild with a 3200 stall on the J-mod. Maybe find one in a junk yard and pull the pan and check the magnet and j-mod one that looks good. I will be doing all the normal stuff ( i made a list on an earlier reply here) plus 4.1 gears with nitrous 75/100. P.I. heads w/ cams will be the last thing to be done. ( all tuned of course) I really want to push the block/internals to their limits before doing an engine swap. I plan on spending upwards of $5k-$6k on the car over the next year. If that does not get me into the 12.8-13.2 range then we can figure it out from there.

Comment

Give you credit for taking on something that's been neglected, and a good thing you got to her when you did. From what you describe it was one of those cars that was just parked in a field or under a tree for a while. That's where problems begin, and where cars' lives get cut short. Will say that trunk floor from '98 to at least '02 should interchange. Maybe '03-'11 will fit, and maybe some pre '98 stuff will work, though you'd want to bring measuring tools to confirm first. How and where did the roof rust? I don't see a vinyl top in the pictures, so unless it had a ton of plants and leaves, or some scrapes that exposed bare metal, I don't see how or where it could've started.
              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I may have saved the trunk floor. time will tell. The paint just started flaking on the roof. a strong thunderstorm and it would lose paint and then the rust would begin.

Comment

Good thing, because that's not a fun piece to replace from what I've been told. Will be going through with that with Eva next year at some point. And ah yeah, the peeling clearcoat phenomenon, forgot about that on the later cars. Least the roof is an easy area to get to for corrective work!
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

YEAH i will say a prayer for you on that floor lol There is a local paint shop that offers a complete sand down and repaint for $399.99 plus tax. It is acrylic paint and comes with a one year warranty. What do yall think?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Mercury View Post
                      YEAH i will say a prayer for you on that floor lol There is a local paint shop that offers a complete sand down and repaint for $399.99 plus tax. It is acrylic paint and comes with a one year warranty. What do yall think?
                      Cheap paint looks cruddy and makes it worse down the road because it has to come off at some point to make things right. I would stay away. May check with them to see what other options they have in terms of paint types.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

please keep in mind i know absolutely nothing about paint. they offer a two base plus clear coat or something for $1,199.00

Comment

Acrylic paint is similar to what was used back in the 70s and 80s IIRC and if you got a dent, would chip off around that dent. Two base plus clear would be better. Sanded and prepped, primed, smoothed, primed, 4-6 base coats and 4 clear coats would be even better, but that would also be rather spendy. Obviously, if you plan on keeping the car forever, the latter would be preferred. If you're planning to sell it in short order, the cheap "Good from far, far from good" job would work. If you plan on keeping it for a good while, go for the 2 base + clear. If you just can't budget a really good job, go for the 2 base + clear if you can.

Comment

yeah i do plan on keeping it so i will fit that in later down the road. did this over the weekend too

Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight replacement.png
Views:	1
Size:	733.0 KB
ID:	1284675

Comment

clear headlights make a big difference.

Comment

well, financial set back number 1.. My daily is a prius and the battery failed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius Battery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1284704

Comment

Working...
                                X