2000 GM Restore and Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well Hello my fellow Panthers.

Life update:
      After buying and having a prius battery installed and the trans completely failing on my GM, I decided to marry my girlfriend and buy a house. Now that we are happily married and moved in and the holidays are over with, it is now time to get back at it.

Now some transmission advice please. I am looking at Monster 4r70w models but they are over $1,000 and say they only hold 460hp. Why should I go with that over a stock with j-mod and a converter?

Most recent picture of the car a few days ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poor Merc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1286345

Comment

Congratulations on getting married!

I would lean towards getting a stock rebuild unless you have some serious mods planned for that MGM. But I will let the more knowledgeable members point you in the direction you should go. This looks like a nice project.

Comment

Hey Thanks!

The plan is to be 350-400 crank hp through the next year. Trans, gear and nitrous with my MZT (tuned) will be done in the next 90 days and then just slowly add/replace from there as things break or need improving.

If someone else has other info, please share, but from what I have found, the stock remans are more expensive than 450 hp rated built transmissions from like JEGS or Monster.

Found these two. They both have under 140k on the odometer and the magnets have no shavings. $139.00 with my core turn in. Could J-mod one of these and ride that for a while huh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc Trans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1286366

Comment

I'd grab one of those used ones, J-mod it and run the shit out of it.

You'll need boost to have 400hp crank.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Now that's whats up!

I'm going for it. Is there a difference in the 99 or 01 trans? just go with the lower mileage one?

Comment

I know they changed the valve body in '01. That was also the year the engines changed from NPI to PI. I'm guessing that if the '01 could be made to work, it would be too big of a PITA. Here's a link with a couple of links to tranny difference info:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...colns-Mercurys

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

They're plug and play.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you. I wanted to go yesterday but could not get anyone to help me so now I have to wait till this coming Sunday.

Comment

Attempted to pull a trans out of the you-pull-it yard yesterday. Jacks and jack stands are not allowed. No way to jack the transmission up and the trans cross-member bolt on the passenger side hits the bottom of the car and cannot be removed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

No jacks and jack stands makes things a bit difficult.
                        The cross member bolt hits the under side of the car due to shot body mount bushings. I jack the body up with a good side piece of lumber between the jack and the underside of the car. This raises the body enough to get those cross member bolts out. But that puts you back to the no jacks or jack stands dilemma.

The JYs around here provide A-frame gantries for pulling engines, for the trans you might have to pull both the engine and trans then separate the two once out of the car.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Oh my gosh... Thank you for the reply but oh man Maybe take a huge crow bar and bend the cross member down to get the bolt out.

The passenger floor board had water in it after I found and fixed the trunk leak. Traced it back to the windshield. Having Safelite come reseal the windshield under warranty tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it.

Just got off the phone with Chris from ADTR and ordered my 4.10's!! He was incredibly helpful and amazing.
                          Last edited by Charlie Mercury; 01-06-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Or if putting a hole in the floor of the JY car above the bolt is ok, that could be an option.

Yuck, windshield leaks are no good. Water gets into places it shouldn't, then around here it freezes and cracks the windshield (ask me how I know).
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

ohhh yeah. You have good ideas. I think stabbing the floor would be easier for sure. Good call.

Wow that sucks..definitely do not have to worry about anything freezing down here thank goodness.

Comment

Yard wont assist?

Yards I frequent will help you out by lifting car and some even come around with the "hot wrench" if needed.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X