No announcement yet.

2000 GM Restore and Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safelite came out and did their thing. The top corner of the A-pillar was leaking. Running down to the kick panel and flooding the floor. Trunk and windshield is now sealed!!

Going to finish pulling the trans tomorrow. (assuming no one has beat me to it in the last two days). All that's left is getting that cross-member bolt out, unbolting the torque converter and removing the starter. Picked up an orange strip 2010 CVPI draft shaft while I was there Sunday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield seal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	1286378

Comment

I had to pull out a transmission from a GM Box van oh what a pain in the ass that job was, I had to replace the Flywheel and Starter on that job and that was on the ground, luckly I had the benefit of a little dich and a tire jack and muscle to get the job done.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds gross. I ended up running two ratchet straps under as a girdle, basket thing and pulled on it so it rested on them. then lowered it onto a long board and slid it out. Was decently rough. Not terrible. Had to bash the cross member bolt out with a crow bar and a dead blow hammer. Started making progress getting the new trans in last night but ran into a snag but had one of the techs at work help me out this morning with a few minutes of an air hammer chisel so I will finish it tonight. Also picked up a nice H-pipe from a CVPI. It is in better condition than my exhaust so it was a nice find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ready.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	1286389 Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1286390 Click image for larger version

Name:	trans exhaust.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1286391 Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1286392 Click image for larger version

Name:	nipple out.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1286393

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Mercury View Post
          Thanks Ryan!

Bought: 80mm MAF, Marauder Zip Tube and air box, new window motor regulators, P.I. heads.

Installed: P.I. Intake no tune

Still to come: 4.11 gears with spool, aluminum draft shaft, J-mod, 75mm throttle body, ported plenum, fuel pump, cams, injectors, 75-100 shot and tune from Marty.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4209FRH-K/m...BoC0bgQAvD_BwE

I know Yukon is a good brand and I know we have a 8.8 like mustangs so seems like it would work.
          Update to this post: 4.10 gears, spool, ford bearing/master install kit, 78mm BBK Throttle Intake, used 4r70w, aluminum drive shaft, Drive shaft spacer, H-Pipe, 80mm mass air, MM zip tube, P.I. Intake, Aeromotive Fuel Pump all ordered, installed or awaiting install.

Comment

Was that a dowel stuck on the new transmission?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes sir. It sure was.

Comment

Nice, I like the ratchet strap idea. I've never had to pull a trans at the JY but I'll keep that in mind in case I ever decide to pull one.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

(I usually pull the jacks from other vehicles and use that)
                  Or pay the yard $60 to cut it out. #win

You are also going to need the larger output shaft housing for the drive shaft. The aluminum d/s wont fit on the civilian models without the larger, shorter driveshaft output shaft housing.
                  I swear I have pics of the difference somewhere...

And that 78mm tb might be a smidge too large for a N/A car.

-Ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

ADTR said I am good on the housing as long as i get the Fabtec spacer and hybrid u-joint. we will see. The car is being built for nitrous so yeah it wont run the best on motor with that 78.

But on a different note, I need some assistance or guidance please. Installed the used trans last night and I either bought a bad used trans or I dont know what I am doing. Every gear is neutral. The motor "bogs down" as if it went into gear but nothing. Did I miss something? I have never installed a transmission but thought it was just plug and play. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comment

Bad torque converter maybe. Bad trans maybe. Did you add all the fluid? Should be somewhere around 14 quarts. All the electrical connected?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Definitely has fluid. I think i over filled it actually. I feel like I looked the electrical over pretty good. I just don't know If I didn't align something or whats going on. It bolted to the engine good. The last like 3/8 of an inch I had to tighten the trans bolts and "pull" it against engine(if that makes sense) and the torque converter aligned and bolted to the fly wheel fine. The magnet and fluid looked really good in the you-pull-it yard. Just so much work to have a bad trans. Guess that's the risk you take in paying $99 for a transmission. Just wish there was a way to figure out if it was me or the transmission.

Comment

There are three things grooves or settings the torque converter needs to matchup to on the transmission. It is not just a bolt on deal. The torque converter needs to be spun into the transmission and feel it go into all of its slots.
                          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the converter would not bolt to the flywheel if it was not in all the grooves correct?

Comment

I am starting to think someone did a transmission flush or service because the pump was bad. which would explain why the car had such clean fluid but is bad. maybe??

Comment

Well. It depends. The torque converter can bolt to the flexplate independent of the tranny. It just makes things all but impossible to ensure that the converter is proponent seated in the transmission.

Usual way of doing this is by installing torque converter into transmission and then as a unit I to car.

I just raised this question because you said you drawn the tranny the rest of the way in by the bolts.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X