Tanner's 88 Grand Marquis LS "the walking dead panther"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Red reflector with a white triangle?? I never noticed a light on my rear doors. Cadillac has them and I'd like to add them to mine but never will. They do have the map lights which light up when the doors are opened though, and they've got foot well lighting under the front seats.
    The rectangular courtesy light on the door panel below the armrest, front doors only. No triangle.

If yours doesn't light up, it's supposed to. There's a bulb in there.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Also, where did you find a class 3 hitch?
    Although I'm still trying to hammer out if it is a Panther-fit hitch and not a Fox-fit one (seems the former since it is listed for Town Cars too...), Tdotperformance.ca seems to be selling one: https://www.tdotperformance.ca/pro-s...ii-575688.html

There is a current promo for 10% off...code HITCHED10

They appear to do business with American customers so exchange rate may come up in your favour, or find somewhere else selling that one. Please verify fitment though. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet due to being uncertain exactly which models it fits, as we all know application data for our cars is somewhat muddy thanks to Ford's ambiguous naming choices in the 80s.

Edit: scratch that. RockAuto has CURT 13707 which is Class III, for quite a bit less $$$. Look under Accessories\Trailer Hitch.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-17-2018, 04:49 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

That looks the same as the Curt I used on my cars...

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact.../dp/B001EOYIH2
      https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/13707.html

The Curt is a lot less if you're on the US side of the boarder by about $50 compared to the TDOT item.

The hardest part about installation is drilling the holes in the frame. After that is done (use a 9/16 bit if you can... 1/2 bit doesn't leave hardly any clearance for the bolt.) it's pretty much use a jack to hold it up and bolt it in. Done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I suppose the small lights in the lincoln doors are designed for safety , when you open a street side door in the night, the red lights will advise the other drivers that somewone will exit from the car but not for lighting the interior of the car
        Volvo did that in early 80s on the 740

Originally posted by sly View Post
        That looks the same as the Curt I used on my cars...

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact.../dp/B001EOYIH2
        https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/13707.html

The Curt is a lot less if you're on the US side of the boarder by about $50 compared to the TDOT item.

The hardest part about installation is drilling the holes in the frame. After that is done (use a 9/16 bit if you can... 1/2 bit doesn't leave hardly any clearance for the bolt.) it's pretty much use a jack to hold it up and bolt it in. Done.

The curt Hith in your link is exactly the same I have on my 87 Colony park, but the one I have on my 88 in bigger, unfortunately I don't know the brand of it.
        1987 Colony Park LS wagon
        1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

my Towncar has an old Valley hitch on it that has been with the car since 1986. I've used it a few times too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
            I suppose the small lights in the lincoln doors are designed for safety , when you open a street side door in the night, the red lights will advise the other drivers that somewone will exit from the car but not for lighting the interior of the car
            Volvo did that in early 80s on the 740
            [url=https://ibb.co/nhyYXe][img]https://preview.ibb.co/hwUwkz/P1010133.jpg[/img

The curt Hith in your link is exactly the same I have on my 87 Colony park, but the one I have on my 88 in bigger, unfortunately I don't know the brand of it.
            Could you post more pictures for the rear lights with and with out lenses and bulb And where did you get the power/signal wires from was it the overhead light.
            Last edited by Elias; 08-18-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Curt makes good hitches. They run our pretreatment & powdercoat process so better than anything else that's out there corrosion resistance & durability wise. Engineered & made in the US too. I just put one on our K1500 not too long ago, itching to use it.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                Could you post more pictures for the rear lights with and with out lenses and bulb And where did you get the power/signal wires from was it the overhead light.
                Elias, I would prefer to not dissassembly because there is some glued parts, so that is the pictures, I used the + signal from the doorpin switch in the B pillar, this is an black/blue wire, and used the negative wire of the power outlet in the door armrest, so you have to pass a new wire from the B pillar to the interior of the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Did the push bar come from a newer Crown Vic or something else? Appears to fit well. Would love to see your work on the brackets installed on the car. My 88 has been needing a push bar for years.

Also, where did you find a class 3 hitch? I know they used to make them but all I am finding new is class 2.
                  I hope it could help you :

Comment

I hope it could help you :
                    Yes this one! Thanks. I can build that. Just needed a visual.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Curt makes good hitches. They run our pretreatment & powdercoat process so better than anything else that's out there corrosion resistance & durability wise. Engineered & made in the US too. I just put one on our K1500 not too long ago, itching to use it.
                      The old Valley on my car was pretty crusty. Not dangerously so, but it needed some help before it went away. Its been cleaned, slathered with rust converter and painted so hopefully it will hold up a while now. I haven't actually used it in years but its there. Never re-installed the trailer wiring after the car got painted.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

here is the big unidentified hitch on my 88
                        The thickness of the steel is amazing, and there is some reinforcing plate at many place, it's look built for a panzer IV

And here is the next upgrade to this car :
                        A 8.8" LSD diff from an 91 grand marquis with the same 3.08 ring gear, it should be useful for Canadian winter driving

Comment

I thought you could utilize a hitch for a newer model on a Box given the general lack of chassis change. Reese makes a Class III/IV hitch for the Aeros, I’ve got one on my ‘97.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

And here is the next upgrade to this car :
                            A 8.8" LSD diff from an 91 grand marquis with the same 3.08 ring gear, it should be useful for Canadian winter driving

Make sure you keep your existing ring gear. The ring and pinion are matched to each other and mixing them up will result in bad things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              I thought you could utilize a hitch for a newer model on a Box given the general lack of chassis change. Reese makes a Class III/IV hitch for the Aeros, I’ve got one on my ‘97.
                              Application data for the hitch I just bought (Pro Series aka Reese aka a handful of others, according to the box) indicates 79-2011 across the various Panther models, with some caveats re: exhaust mounting on later years.

Current driver: Ranger
                              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                              | 88 TC | 91 GM
                              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                                Application data for the hitch I just bought (Pro Series aka Reese aka a handful of others, according to the box) indicates 79-2011 across the various Panther models, with some caveats re: exhaust mounting on later years.
                                I had no issues with mounting anything on the '97. Drilling the holes took a moment, but nothing bad. They said dual exhaust models needed modification, but on a CV/GMQ, it just mirrors the single exhaust, so there's nothing really special there. I modded nothing exhaust wise.

I could see wagon owners with proper factory dual exhaust having problems, since I the pipes run along the frame rail. Maybe the Town Car models did too?

Courtesy 2vModular:

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X