Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MEG (My 86 LTD Crown Victoria Coupe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. Make sure to toss that TFI so not to go through this issue again with any of your other windsor motors.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I got the pleasure of driving "the Meg" the other day. Fun car to drive, with lots of mid range and top end power, but decent low end grunt too. Great throttle response and easy cruising. Handles well around the corners (going to be a beast with stiffer springs). Johns tuner thinks the current stock shift points are fine, but it felt like she had more in her than that. I really want to see what she'll do at the strip, so I will probably be going with John if I can.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

So I am currently planning out a beefy 351W stroker swap and I found this thread. I have a few questions,
        Did you have to cut the hood at all for the Lightning Intake?
        With the lightning intake and BBK TB, did the stock throttle cable/IAC Valve/Speed Control all connect?
        What did you do for swapping to serpentine accessories? It looks like a custom bracket for the AC Compressor and Tensioner, and I'm assuming the water pump is for a Fox Body?

Thanks!
        1986 Country Squire
        1969 Mercury Cougar
        1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
          So I am currently planning out a beefy 351W stroker swap and I found this thread. I have a few questions,
          Did you have to cut the hood at all for the Lightning Intake?
          With the lightning intake and BBK TB, did the stock throttle cable/IAC Valve/Speed Control all connect?
          What did you do for swapping to serpentine accessories? It looks like a custom bracket for the AC Compressor and Tensioner, and I'm assuming the water pump is for a Fox Body?

Thanks!
          No I didn't have to cut the hood for the lightning stuff. But there is a slight clearance issue on the egr valve. That can be remedied by finessing the hood webbing. The hood insulation will need to be removed.

The throttle cable, tv cable and cruise control are all stock. The bbk throttle body was modified to allow for stock bell crank to fit it. The lightning egr spacer has provisions for both the box panther and fox body throttle cable bracketry.

The AC brackets are off a police package box with a 351w. They are 351w specific. All accessories are box panther. There is a brace bracket that attaches to the intake manifold that had it's own boss on the panther 351w intake. That is not present on the 351w lightning intake. So I modified that bracket to fit on the most front intake bolt. I also modified the brace bracket from my stock 302 alternator bracket to fit and clear the 3g alternator on the 351w. I believe I posted pictures of this. If not I will go through the thread and dump all of my pictures I have of the project. I also used a longer bolt for the bottom mounting bolt of the alternator. I used the stock box 302 power steering/ alternator bracket but removed the threads for the lower bolt. The lower bolt for the alternator bolts directly into the cylinder head instead of the bracket. The alternator belt is the same length as stock 50.5" 5060505. The ac belt is longer. Without smog pump it requires a 60 inch belt. 506060.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answers! I'm putting all my notes and parts lists in a big spreadsheet. I'll try and do a big writeup after I finish.
            1986 Country Squire
            1969 Mercury Cougar
            1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
              Thanks for the quick answers! I'm putting all my notes and parts lists in a big spreadsheet. I'll try and do a big writeup after I finish.
              I'm not so good with responding on here. Only reason I saw it was due to email updates from this thread haha.

Comment

Picture Dump

Here's the first photo dump of engine pics. Rotating assembly installed by machine shop. I painted the block and assembled the rest of the engine. More pictures to follow.
                Attached Files

Comment

Picture Dump

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_185927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1286487Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_114428.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1286495Click image for larger version

Name:	20190201_112454.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1286494Click image for larger version

Name:	20190201_112440.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1286493Click image for larger version

Name:	20190201_092913.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1286492
                  Attached Files

Comment

Picture Dump

More photos. I was playing around with other valve covers which proved to be too stupidly tall to be used in order for my hood to clear. You can also see mock up of 3g alternator case, and the modification of the support braces for ac and alternator brackets.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 02-05-2020, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Picture Dump

You can see I finally got my head out of my ass and installed the Powered By Ford valve covers, and swapped over to the 39lb fuel injectors. At this point the engine is ready for install. Also painted the egr spacer and throttle body while it was assembled on the upper intake.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Picture Dump

In this collection. You'll see the rear from Blue, derusted and painted. Also the big brake swap pieces from Blue also derusted and painted. Or at least one side. This happened over a few days of slow days at work. And some off the clock work. Swapped in the rear into Tex with the brake lines and new parking brake cables. Also the last time the car ever had the original engine in it. And the final picture is the engine removed from the car! That intake mounted engine hoist plate was a life saver and it didn't require me to remove the hood to get the engine out!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Picture Dump

Engine out. Engine in, radiator installed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Picture Dump

Engine in. Then a shot of the tailpipes. Police rear sway bar installed. And a shot of the tripminder going on a trip to the Pumpkin Run back in November.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great posts, great pix, nice work. Nice car. I'll have questions for you soon..
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

How do you run into hood clearance issues with valve covers?
                                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                                X