Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MEG (My 86 LTD Crown Victoria Coupe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the car towed to work yesterday. The tow truck driver loved it. Took a bunch of pictures and I think a video of it running Haha. Definitely a head turner, even in the dead transmission state. After my shift I pulled the car in and started tearing it apart again. Transmission has been removed. Got covered in fluid in the process. Didn't come out as nicely as I'd hoped. The torque converter got stuck in the flexplate, so removing the trans wasn't really fun lol. Will keep y'all updated when I disassemble the trans though see what happened. I will say this. Of all the fluid that leaked out, nothing seemed burnt, or smelled burnt. And the direct drive shaft was intact. So I guess we'll see...

Comment

Sounds great John!!!
      Ready for ScottFest?!

If there's one thing I know about transmissions, it's that I don't know anything about transmissions......

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
        Sounds great John!!!
        Ready for ScottFest?!

If there's one thing I know about transmissions, it's that I don't know anything about transmissions......

-ryan s.
        I hope to have it ready by then. Otherwise I'm probably just gonna drive it over a cliff with me in it.

Comment

Oh, you can't be too upset about not having it ready in 2 months.........
          The Marauder's been fucked for a decade.....

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
            Oh, you can't be too upset about not having it ready in 2 months.........
            The Marauder's been fucked for a decade.....

-ryan s.
            You also have 2 kids and wife. Those take precedence over the marauder. I have no excuse lol.

Comment

Well, I was correct on my first suspicion of the direct clutch. The frictions were wiped out pretty well and actually partially welded themselves together. Drum is scored as well.

Coupled with how the transmission was shifting, I would safely say that the cause is a combination of low line pressure and high power killed the beast.

That being said, my course of action is going to be putting in Vicky's old rebuilt AOD with new filter and fluid. This trans has a silverfox valve body with overdrive on a solenoid. Stay tuned!

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

86VickyLX get yourself a new transmission and use a Silverfox kit and you are done with it ready for the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                    86VickyLX get yourself a new transmission and use a Silverfox kit and you are done with it ready for the road.
                    I have 3 AODs at the shop right now.

The one from the coupe which is now 95% disassembled.

The one from my 92 Grand marquis that is probably a cube by now.

The one that I removed from Vicky that was rebuilt that has a Silverfox valve body.

Comment

Update. I put the AOD that used to be in Vicky in the coupe. I got 4 gears again! It's leaking fluid from the pan gasket and the shifter tube seal. So I'll be pulling the pan and replacing it with an aluminum cover with a drain plug and a big fat silicone gasket. I'm picking up the car from the exhaust shop today. Will try to take pictures soon!

Comment

Comment

Yay. I was wondering what was going on. Haven't heard from you lately.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Saw that I never updated this page. I apologize. I did take pictures I think. Gotta go through the phone and find them. I've been trying to track down an issue with what I thought was a problem with the tune. The car would feel like I was driving around with the parking brake on. It would backfire through the intake. And when it was cold, forget about it. It would stutter and miss like a sonuvabitch. On a gut feeling I determined it was a spark/timing issue. Verified base timing. Still at 10btdc. Turned out to be a bad TFI module. Ripped the motorcraft module off the distributor that was on Blue's motor. And installed it. It runs like a raped ape. Even more power than it originally had! I need to get it out to the dragstrip before they close down for the season. I tried to go last Tuesday, but unfortunately it was raining all day.

Comment

stupid ignition module. Where was the bad one from, a new purchase or just whatever came on the distributor?
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X