Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MEG (My 86 LTD Crown Victoria Coupe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume taller valve covers in turn require a spacer for the upper intake which is where the hood clearance issue comes into play.

+1, great pictures.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
      How do you run into hood clearance issues with valve covers?
      Simple. Tall valve covers don't allow upper intake to clear without a spacer. Any more height and I was definitely running into issues. The Lightning/tubular upper is the lowest profile and the linkages would not clear those tall valve covers, whereas the Explorer is taller but would definitely hit the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Simple. Tall valve covers don't allow upper intake to clear without a spacer. Any more height and I was definitely running into issues. The Lightning/tubular upper is the lowest profile and the linkages would not clear those tall valve covers, whereas the Explorer is taller but would definitely hit the hood.
        Yeah now I see, also those two nubs on the underside of the intake.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

As I found out; tall valve covers won't tuck under the wiper motor cover when swapping in a 351W; at least in my case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1286535

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            As I found out; tall valve covers won't tuck under the wiper motor cover when swapping in a 351W; at least in my case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53537[/ATTACH]
            That was one other thing I was concerned about. It was a tight fit as it was.

Comment

How accurate is the tripminder?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                How accurate is the tripminder?
                I guess this is what happens when I don't frequent the site as much. The tripminder is fairly accurate. I believe it when it says I'm getting 10mpg because I never keep my foot out of the throttle. Some of you may know I did a heater core over the winter and retrofitted an EATC setup from a 01 Grand Marquis to replace the aging and temperamental fully vacuum ATC system it came with. With help from Thain, and another friend not on the forum, I was able to graft a blend door actuator to the top of the HVAC box. Running the wiring wasn't an issue. Neither was the sunload sensor, it actually came out looking factory. The only other hurtle was the installing the blower motor speed controller as the original resistor holes didn't line up. Luckily, the hole is the same size so no need for cutting anything. I had to mount a switch for the rear defroster, which came from an 01+ vic/grand marquis and a 92 grand marquis rear defroster switch that could handle the timing control and relay portion of the circuit.
                I am currently working on getting everything set up for an OBD-II swap and a 4R70W later on. The fuse box harness is installed from the donor car, which consists of the power stuff for the ECM harness, cooling fans, ABS (which will be added later) and power for the cars accessories and everything else. The car is running off of the fuse box besides the stock ECM harness which I decided to not plumb into the fuse box as it would just be something I'd have to undo when the time came. The prep work is coming along pretty good. The DLC port is mounted under the dash and grounded. Power will be applied once the main ECU harness is installed as that completes the circuit. All of the necessary input and output wires are run through the car, save for the ones that will be connected to existing wires under the hood (check engine light, ac input, brake input etc.) I just finished the AC modification to allow for the use of a high pressure cut off switch. The OBD II setup uses both a high and low pressure switch for AC command. The ECU will then separately ground the AC clutch relay for compressor operation. This will also hopefully keep the system from over pressurizing itself in the event that the cooling fan should fail. With the help of a special T fitting that I found, I was able to thread this onto the stock high side port on the discharge hose. From there it splits off to a R134A pressure port and a m10-1.25 switch port. This was one of the big hurdles for the swap as I was trying to figure out how to incorporate the switch without having to modify hoses. I also modded a cylinder head temperature sensor to thread into my drivers side cylinder head. Basically, I carefully removed the metric threads with a grinder and tapped the sensor for a standard bolt thread. It looks damn near factory and in theory should report proper temperature to the PCM. Should this not work how I plan it to, I found that I can enable a standard Engine Coolant Temperature sensor in the tune and also by adding a pin to the ecm harness. My last and possibly most difficult issue will be the mounting of the ignition coils (we are talking COP coils) I'm not sure if I will mount them remotely on the inner fenders or on the engine somehow. The placement isn't limited as I will be making special spark plug wires which will make these work like LS style coil near plug. Regardless, once that's figured out I can physically begin the swap and start to get the car running off of that system. I will try to keep you guys updated and post pictures of the stuff I'm doing if I can remember to.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  I will try to keep you guys updated and post pictures of the stuff I'm doing if I can remember to.
                  Please do. Sounds like lots of fun newness.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't know if theres room or not, but could you drill and tap mounting points on the valve covers for the coils?
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

What is the head temp sensor screwed into? Guessing later heads have a tapped hole somewhere for that to go?

can you actually use LS coils? That might be easier than modding Ford COP units to take shorty wires. If you can mount them on the valve covers you could probably use actual LS wires too.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice, whale EATC in a boxy box. Definitely hope to see pictures of that.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          I don't know if theres room or not, but could you drill and tap mounting points on the valve covers for the coils?
                          I don't think there is enough meat for that. Not only that, but then half of my usable area is covered by the upper intake. So that's not going to happen. Maybe a bracket off of the bolts for the valve cover. Or maybe I mount them on the fender wells?
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          What is the head temp sensor screwed into? Guessing later heads have a tapped hole somewhere for that to go?

can you actually use LS coils? That might be easier than modding Ford COP units to take shorty wires. If you can mount them on the valve covers you could probably use actual LS wires too.
                          The CHT is normally threaded into the drivers side cylinder head under the intake manifold. Mine is threaded into one of the unused accessory bracket bolt holes.

The LS coils would be a better idea, however, they use a 3 wire system. Power, ground and 5 volt trigger. The ford system uses Power, and a ground. The coils are driven via ground through the PCM.

Comment

Have I mentioned how cancerous the attachment uploader is on here? Lol. Here's some of the photos. I have some videos of the actuator and the EATC operating outside of the car however they won't upload.
                            So we have a pic of the actuator mounted to the HVAC plenum with a custom bracket made of all thread and some adjusted nuts for proper height.
                            Some pics of the sunload sensor mounted to the interior A pillar trim on the passenger side.

I also neglected to mention that the car now has an HPP steering box and is lowered on speedway motor springs and KYB gas a just shocks. So there's some pictures of the box and my custom power steering lines.
                            We also have pics of the modified Bronco 351w tone ring balancer rebuilt with an explorer tone ring, courtesy of damperdudes.com. Very helpful and honestly reasonable for rebuilding balancers. Also a mounted crank position sensor. There are a couple pictures of the CHT mounted in place on the engine. And last but not least the EATC unit living in the dash. I may do a youtube update video documenting everything in more detail. As a video would probably be more in depth than me just blathering on about stuff.
                            Attached Files

Comment

THat looks cool. I'd want that in my Town Car.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Nice. The fitment looks good.

Derek I know a guy that could make the whale EATC happen.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X