Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers Door Won't Open

Hi all,

Got a 92 Grand Marquis and I am not able to open the drivers door. Seems like it is locked and won't unlock. I tried a fresh battery and everything unlocks and locks fine except for the drivers door. Tried grabbing the manual lock rod with a pair of pliers and it will not go up or down. I pulled off the door panel and sprayed towards the lock/latch area best I could with some PB Blaster but no change. I am stumped. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks.

Give the door a hip check to see if the latch is just half way latched. Also, try lifting the lock rod manually from within the door. If it won't budge, you may have to disconnect the actuator from the door. The bracket that holds it has the ability to let it go with some persuasion. A flat screwdriver is usually enough of a pry bar to pop the actuator off the bracket. If the rod links are still connected on the door handles, you should be able to pull on the inner one after the outside hip check and it should open. If that doesn't work, follow the rod to the latch to see if it's actually pulling the latch as it should. If not, try actuating the latch manually. If none of that works... hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Finally got it open. It is amazing what walking away from something for a day or two does. You come back and the thinkg you have been banging your head over all of a sudden works out. Welll sort of....I can open it from the outside now but not from the inside. The electric lock and the window don't work so once I swing back (car is at my mother-in-laws) with my multi-meter I will see where the issue is. I have replaced the window regulators so I am ok with that task but if I need to replace the electric lock actuator is that pretty straight forward?

Comment

Originally posted by TQ4986 View Post
        Finally got it open. It is amazing what walking away from something for a day or two does. You come back and the thinkg you have been banging your head over all of a sudden works out. Welll sort of....I can open it from the outside now but not from the inside. The electric lock and the window don't work so once I swing back (car is at my mother-in-laws) with my multi-meter I will see where the issue is. I have replaced the window regulators so I am ok with that task but if I need to replace the electric lock actuator is that pretty straight forward?
        The door lock actuator clips to the door latch and is held to the door itself via a rivet.

Comment

You can use bolts, I bought the proper rivets and a rivet gun to pull them. Trying to get that lock motor in and out of the bracket inside the door sucks balls, and I've bled enough trying to do it. If you've got the 1/4" rivets with the large heads it goes quick.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X