Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning bell of "lights on" doesn't stop! (87 colony Park)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning bell of "lights on" doesn't stop! (87 colony Park)

Hello guys!

I have issues with the "warning bell" that sound when you open the driverīs door and the lights are on.
    This time, the bell sounds at every moment with the lights on, even with the doors closed, so this is very annoying. Also, the sound is erratic, sometimes it stop, and sometimes it sounds for nothing (always with the lights on). I checked the connections to the light switch and are all ok. anyone had the same problem in the past and knows how to solve it?. Or better disconnect the origin of the bell?
    The only different thing that I did was connected and replace the IAC Valve, but I doubt this have any connetion with this other problem.
    I noticed that the sound is near the radio or A/C panel control, but I canīt identify the exact location. Anyone have some ideas?. Anyway, I found the bell very useful to avoid left the lights on at parking.

Thanks!

My 88 did the same thing, the problem was the keysens
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
      My 88 did the same thing, the problem was the keysens
      How did you solve it?

Comment

I pulled out the key cylinder out of the steering column and disassembled it to replace the small copper leaf spring, it was broken and shorted and it could occur a key jam.

Or you can just unplug the keysens connector on the back of the key cylinder.
        Or Unplug the doorchime module located near the gas pedal

Regards.

Comment

Thank you!

First of all, I will Unplug the connector to verify that this is the problem. I bought a replacement for the key cylinder but it does not fit at the end. I just looked the new replacement cylinder, but the copper leaf spring looks fix on it.

Comment

I fixed that with a friend who's a locksmith, I don't remember if we just replaced the copper spring or an assembly. but first as you said, unplug it to see if your problem is here

Comment

yeah, unplug the wire to the cylinder and see if it stops. I don't remember how the little spring fits in there, but when they wear it does this. The tone box in my car has been gone for a very long time, so I've never had to actually attempt to fix the cylinder.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I removed the plastic cover and take a look to the key cylinder and the wire and connector were removed, so the problem is not here or at least I can't stop the sound here.
                Where is located the doorchime and what connector I need to unplug to stop the bell?.
                I looked near the gas pedal and saw 2 silver balls under the A/C panel, is there the origin of the bell?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180824_155024035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1284555
                Sorry for the bad pic
                Last edited by JesusGM; 08-24-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Nope. Believe it or not the chime is in a plastic box. Its near the radio/climate control area underneath the dash.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JesusGM View Post
                    I looked near the gas pedal and saw 2 silver balls under the A/C panel, is there the origin of the bell?[ATTACH=CONFIG]50794[/ATTACH]
                    (
                    Those silver "balls" control the HVAC doors in the plenum, there is another one above the passengers feet.

The warning chime module is more behind the center stack controls. There is a 6 wire connector on it, one row of 4, one row of two. If you look up and to the right of that big flat brace (with the ground terminal) you should see a connector there facing the rear of the car, plugged into a larger plastic cube.

Alex.

Comment

Hold on... Are you telling me my car is supposed to have a door chime?

Comment

Only if the lights are on or the key is in the ignition. But don't count on the key in ignition working, I disabled that f'ing annoying thing within the week of first owning my box. (Single wire that comes off the ignition switch, just unplug to disable).

Comment

Mine hasn't worked since we got the car. The wire to the ignition is still intact. I found the little box (6 wire connector) and its still connected and everything. Is it possible that I just need a new module?

Comment

Originally posted by catfacekia View Post
                            Mine hasn't worked since we got the car. The wire to the ignition is still intact. I found the little box (6 wire connector) and its still connected and everything. Is it possible that I just need a new module?
                            If you put the lights on and open the door, does it ding?

If it does, then something to do with the tiny metal leaf that senses when the key is inserted is broken and you'll have to look closer in the area of the lock cylinder.

If it does not ding with the lights on, then the speaker foam has probably turned to goo inside the chime module. It can be repaired if you take it apart, other people on other websites have posted guides, for example:
                            https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

Google "Ford chime foam repair" for other results too. But the idea is the same.

Current driver: wagon
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

That thread is exactly what I needed. I'm sure the issue isn't anything wrong with the lock cylinder because we've both let the car die overnight with the headlights on and locked the car with the keys in the ignition. The car never made a sound.
                              I'll take apart the chime when I get home and see if that's my issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X