Ventilation / EATC Malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation / EATC Malfunction

So I have first breakdown - today while driving blower stop to blow. Without any noise or smell. Panel is working correct - I can change directors of air flow, I hear electric motors under the dashboard. Self test without any error - after "moving line" stage I see 888. I had two situations when I wonder if there is everything ok with EATC - one time after start engine air start to flow 3-5 seconds later then usualy. Second one blower was run little strange - speed was change a little few times during maybe two seconds. It was like situation when cars have dirty throttle and RPM's are not stable - I hope You know what I mean. I think about blower resistor - what You think ? One more question about EATC - is there possibility to turn off manualy A/C from EATC panel and use only ventilation ? Or from the other side - if car lost gas in A/C, blower should run correctly ?
    Last edited by Atropos; 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM.
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

I've been dealing with the same thing on my 03. I thought it was the blower motor and replaced it. Lasted about 3 months then did it again. I just replaced the blower motor resistor and so far so good. Since the resistor is what controls the speed of the fan I'd start there.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

And where exactly can I found this resistor ? It's connect directly with blower motor ?
      '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

It is in the engine compartment. Right side on the firewall. It is a slight PITA but doable.

I replaced mine with the Standard Product as I trust their stuff as long as it is not a ("T" series part (cheap China made))

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...43795&jsn=4925
        This is the Motorcraft unit
        https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...43795&jsn=4928

I then had my original unit fixed so I can maintain the originality of the 03 if ever necessary.

Please check the fuse and or relay first.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

You can often re-solder the connections inside the speed controller (the "resistor", it hasn't been a resistor since 1991) to fix it. Once you remove it from the firewall and open it, you will often find a solder joint that is burned or cracked. Fix that and it will likely work again.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think the aeros still use the resistor as well. My 93 has the resistors. And I apparently need a new fan switch as I have no med-lo speed (low bypasses the switch so you're guaranteed to have low if the switch is totally dead).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I think the aeros still use the resistor as well. My 93 has the resistors. And I apparently need a new fan switch as I have no med-lo speed (low bypasses the switch so you're guaranteed to have low if the switch is totally dead).
              Yep, resistor with manaul controls and blower motor speed controller with ATC. They both live in the same place and both control the blower motor speed.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Meh, you peasants and your Fords. Begone with your resistors.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Meh, you peasants and your Fords. Begone with your resistors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Blower motor is dead. Yesterday I pull it out from car and give it to repair. Probably some problems with brush or commutator.

Comment

If you're lucky, the commutator might just need to be cleaned. The blower motor on my 2000 MGM crapped out some years ago, and the commutator was black. In that state, it wouldn't work even when directly connected to the battery, but it's been fine ever since I cleaned the commutator.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                      X