Aero h pipe on box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero h pipe on box?

Im familiar with the mod motor and I understand the 4.6 is wider than the 5.0 but the exhaust routing couldnt have changed that much. With that said, has anyone experimented with trying to fit a 92+ h pipe on a box? Right now my exhaust is “custom” but Id like to go back to stock and not have to deal with it being the way it is and I dont want another loud car lol. I know on cvn a members friend tried this and it worked but Id like to know if anyone here has firsthand experience with this.

Also does anyone know where to find tailpipe hangers for these cars? It seems like you cant find them anywhere except for boneyards. Ill get one that way if I need to but Im curious since they seem to be nowhere on the internet even used.

Factory tailpipe hangers are long, long gone. I had the part numbers on hand but they were useless (no stock and never will be again) so I stopped keeping track of that info. Junkyards are the way to go. This is a part I now look for and will pull every single one of that I find. Even trashed ones can be rebuilt with a new piece of rubber strap. They're made of such ridiculously thick steel that they'll never be totally ruined by rust.

I compared the H from my 97 to a stock replacement box H. It's a no-go. I don't remember why and I can't find a photo of them together, but it's a no-go. I think the connections to the cats are spaced differently, maybe.

Walker 40483 is stock box replacement.
    Walker 40497 is stock Lincoln box replacement.
    40497 is like 40483 but longer. You can probably use 40497 if you want to use shorter mufflers, or if you're OK with cutting and adjusting things a little. I will probably be doing that on my wagon but I'm not there yet so I can't confirm how it will fit.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I think youre right about the h pipe differences. I remember a thread like this on cvn and was referring to bigmerc saying a friend was able to use an aero h pipe on a box but I was skeptical.

Ill grab a few hangers if I can find them. I wonder if it would be feasible to swap to aero tails and hangers. Not that it makes a difference since I already have box tailpipes to bolt on.

Does walker make the 40483 anymore?

Comment

I'll see if I can verify the box/aero H pipe thing. I might still have the H pipe from my 97. I do have a 40483 in the garage to compare it with.

I'm pretty sure Walker does not make 40483 anymore. It's in very low stock at most places and RockAuto has been out of stock for months on it.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I have NOS 91 part number Lincoln H-pipe and it’s a near perfect match to the one on my 88 now (aftermarket unknown brand). The Lincoln one is a bit longer by a hair but could certainly be trimmed. Cat flanges and outlet locations are the exact same. And it’s stainless.

Edit: from what I find online, it’s spec’d 1992-1994 Lincolns. Certainly aero era.

I plan to run it on my 90 once I find correct long dual tailpipes for it.
          Last edited by Tiggie; 08-23-2018, 10:02 PM.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That would be interesting to see them side by side, measured and overlayed. An end all to this.

I looked and see that the lincoln h pipe is still being produced, thats weird walker still makes it but they (probably) dont make the one for the ltd/marquis. Not that it makes a difference. Depending on whether theyll work or not and whats cheaper, Ill either get the one for a box town car or aero.

Is anyone running mustang shorties with stock cats? I know the flange needs to be modified, how hard is it? Im wondering if the stocker will work because, at least the walker replacements, have a slotted flange so maybe the bolts will line up. Maybe Ill give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
              I think youre right about the h pipe differences. I remember a thread like this on cvn and was referring to bigmerc saying a friend was able to use an aero h pipe on a box but I was skeptical.

Ill grab a few hangers if I can find them. I wonder if it would be feasible to swap to aero tails and hangers. Not that it makes a difference since I already have box tailpipes to bolt on.

Does walker make the 40483 anymore?
              That was a Aero Lincoln Town Car, a 1990 to be exact, as such, it had a 5.0, and its h-pipe bolted right up to the cats on his '91 wagon. The tailpipes off of that same '90 were nearly identical to those on my '97 Town Car, and they lined up great over the axle and around all the suspension bits (the wagon came to him with no exhaust after the cats except the remnants of 1 muffler tied to the floor), but because it was a wagon, they hit the spare tire hump on the passenger side so it went with just the H-pipe and mufflers dumped under the car.

If it is true that the earlier modular powered Town Car (ie: '91-94/'95) fit, and the '97 part does not, then the change must have been in '95 because that was pretty much the only time the cats were changed until the '03 model year. I also recall the muffler hangers on the '91 wagon very closely resembled those of the '94 P71 that donated its exhaust to my '96. Which brings up another point, the '94 exhaust "was not supposed to fit" on my '96, yet it lined up fine, granted I did not try and reuse the exhaust flanges at the cats and just sleeved it so I dunno if they were actually the same or not, but it all fit.
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

from looking at images of both of the Walker parts... it looks like the only difference is pipe diameter. The aero pipe is slightly larger.

This may translate into slightly different flanges as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Be careful using LTD and MARQUIS as searches for our cars because they are fox platform vehicles.

That would be interesting to see them side by side, measured and overlayed. An end all to this.

I looked and see that the lincoln h pipe is still being produced, thats weird walker still makes it but they (probably) dont make the one for the ltd/marquis. Not that it makes a difference. Depending on whether theyll work or not and whats cheaper, Ill either get the one for a box town car or aero.

Is anyone running mustang shorties with stock cats? I know the flange needs to be modified, how hard is it? Im wondering if the stocker will work because, at least the walker replacements, have a slotted flange so maybe the bolts will line up. Maybe Ill give it a whirl.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I’ve got a 1990 TC H pipe and mufflers under the ‘87. It all fit toghether just fine. The factory passenger tail pipe lined right up and a custome left side was made because of the unique side exit.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Merc I see, I think youre right about the early mod mid pipe and box being pretty much the same.

Sly, as long as thats the case I might as well just get the box town car h pipe since I found out walker still makes it and run that.

87gtvic, thanks but Im aware I referred to the panther cars with those abbreviations.

Comment

Merc I see, I think youre right about the early mod mid pipe and box being pretty much the same.

Sly, as long as thats the case I might as well just get the box town car h pipe since I found out walker still makes it and run that.

87gtvic, thanks but Im aware I referred to the panther cars with those abbreviations.
                        Very good. Putting it out there for others just in case. You wouldn't believe it but the parts stores have things mixed up between the two.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Very good. Putting it out there for others just in case. You wouldn't believe it but the parts stores have things mixed up between the two.
                          Thats like the heater cores with these cars. Its a known glitch in the system at autozone and advance. It shows the wrong one for our cars so we actually have to order one for an aero. I went through that when I got one for my 85.

Also last night I ended up ordering new cats/pipes and a box town car h pipe from rock auto. The car has a “custom” h pipe and would require more custom work to mount to the stock mufflers and tails I bought a while back. I figure I might as well just get oem everything and bolt it all together to make it easy. The hardest part will be bolting it to the mustang shortys I got and having o2 sensor bungs welded in.

Comment

When I had the 82 Mark VI, I just got parts for an 88 MGM. Seems 88 is a good year for the parts databases for mechanical parts. Electrical parts are always a crap shoot for these cars. And autolamp relays are unobtanium.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X