Baumann shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baumann shift kit

The po of my 87 had a baumann shift kit installed but I noticed that it wont shift into 4th unless I let off the gas. I know it is designed to do this to protect the overdrive band but is it supposed to do that even at say light throttle?

It's only supposed to do that at WOT (IIRC over about 50% throttle)... so I'm thinking that whatever spring is involved in that has cratered and is having no affect until essentially all pressure is removed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Damn thats what I thought. Ill have to try and get a hold of the po and see if it did that before he swapped it to a carb. Luckily 4th doesnt slip or anything so the trans seems to be in good shape other than whats going on.

Comment

If the TV pressure is too high it won't upshift either. What are your shift points currently under light throttle?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They seem normal but it has 4.10 gears so maybe it is holding them out a little, I cant tell. Ill know more when I have it back together and running. Does anyone know where to get a gauge and a long line to check tv pressure from the port?

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention at heavy throttle itll shift 1-2 at a reasonable rpm but shifts 2-3 early for some reason.

Comment

what are you using for a TV setup if its carb?

Its just an oil pressure gauge, but you need to pull the cable a specified amount. Not exactly sure how the Ford procedure translates to non-stock arrangements though.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I dont have any pictures of before I pulled the intake apart but it was similar to a Lokar setup except it was a little jerry rigged. It did its job in the sense that the bracket for the tv cable had a bracket to bolt to and was attached to the carb in the right way. Damn I wish I had pics. When I get all the pieces I need for the efi swap Ill take it for a short spin and see how it is.

Comment

Putting it back to EFI then? That will at least give you geometry that is known to work correctly and eliminate a variable.

Comment

Yea the po swapped it to carb and removed a bunch of stuff. Im in the middle of swapping it back to efi/stock and restoring it. I dont like it being carb’d because its half assed and honestly there are no gains to be had using the stock heads and cam. Im just looking for a cruiser not another racecar.

Comment

the half-ass would be what annoyed me the most. I'm really not much on carbs but a proper clean install is acceptable. Few people pull that off. Usually most of the EFI wiring is still there but hacked away, the fuel system plumbing is a CF, and overall it just looks like someone threw it together with whatever crap they had on hand.

Comment

And for those very reasons Im going back to stock. It ran ok with a carb but it was a little hacked up and there were wiring harnesses everywhere that went/go to nothing.

Im not against a carb but in this case its unnecessary when it came from the factory with efi and was reliable. Its like downgrading. I can see if it was a police model with a carb’d 351w and the po wanted to ditch the vv carb but this just wasnt right. And the carb on it was way too big and had a dual plane intake that shines in an rpm that these motors will never see.

Comment

yeah, thats the usual way carb swaps are done. Flushing a toilet on top of one of these engines will not make it perform better. Usually it just wastes a lot of fuel. Honestly with one of these motors in stock form you don't really need more than a 2bbl can provide.

Comment

Lol I figured as much. I have parts coming in the mail so I *should* have her up and running by this weekend then Ill take her out for a spin. The more I think about it the more I wonder if the tv cable was too tight. Ill know soon enough. The only other thing I can think about is maybe something was done to the valve body, Ill see what the baumann instructions say.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              ...Flushing a toilet on top of one of these engines will not make it perform better...
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X