• Time
  • Show
Clear All

351W Engine oil pump

Sealed Power online catalog lists:
    1980 Lincoln MK VI 351W engine VIN G Std pressure/volume 22441166
    1980 Lincoln Continental engine VIN H Std pressure/volume 22441143
    Ford service oil pan same for both E7AZ6675A
    My 1980 Lincoln Mk VI came with a replacement crate engine installed. How would I know what vintage 351W crate engine was installed? Would common practice be to spec an exact 1980 Lincoln MK VI 351W engine VIN G as the replacement? So the pump replacement would be the 22441166. The pickup tube runs from the pump at font of engine to the larger rearmp and is attached to center main bearing cap stud bolt. Have torn the engine down to the short block which looks beautiful. No cylinder ridges, bored .040, lifters and rocker arms show no signs of wear. By the look of it, could have just bee built. But I had to know for sure. Air Flow Research aluminum heads box sitting on top of. Edelbrock Performer manifold box. FITech throttle body fuel injection and tuning by local dealer. Stainless steel dual exhaust through stock ehaust manifolds and performance Walker cat converters. Matching MSD ignition. Goal is 300+hp super clean emissions and 18 to 20 mpg. I'll use the VIN from my wife's '97 Town Car for the emissions testing. Heads are drilled for Thermactor and intake manifold is ported for EGR. The effect on the 1980's ECU is unknown but it still has to run the digital dash board. Too wordy, sorry Any thoughts?

The 22441166 appears to be for 351C or 351M from some catalog digging. Go for the one spec’d say a 1983 CV with 351, which is the 22441143.

As far as what engine was installed, 351w blocks were functionally the same from 1969-1993 for flat tappet cams and with 1994+ having provision for roller cams. Look for a casting number above the starter. Heads were mostly the same 1969-74 with larger valves, 75-86ish with 302 size valves, and 87+ being the E7TE similar to the HO Mustang. There was also the lightning 351 with GT40 heads but I don’t think you’d have those. The casting number is on outer bottom edge of the head. For your car, I’d expect casting numbers starting with D8 as the original application.

What are the specs on your AFR heads? Intake runner volume and valve size in particular. I like their 165 intake runner volume heads for street low RPM efficiency. Although the 351 could go 185.

What state are you in?

The factory ECU is going to basically be a boat anchor. Lincoln elite will comment on the digi dash requirements.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 08-26-2018, 08:40 AM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The only interaction between the ECM and the digital dash is the fuel flow data output. Without that, your fuel economy display will not work correctly. The rest is all completely independent.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hello again, I think I've got to the bottom of this. The original owner replaced the Ford 351W VIN G engine with a 351W VIN H modified long block crate engine.

351W with 22441166 uses a short threaded end screw-in pickup tube/screen for a front of engine oil sump. 351W with 22441143 has a 18" bolt flange end pickup tube/screen for a rear of engine oil sump. And a tab for attaching to a center bearing cap stud bolt.

Long story short, to be sure, just pulled the engine and pan, 22441143 is definitely on the engine. It shouldn't be. Blind luck! Looking for the pump by application (1980 Lincoln Mark VI 351W) yields 22441166 at Sealed Power's and all the online catalogs. Thanks,

Comment

Live in western Philadelphia suburbs. Heads are AFR 1472 Pedistal

Comment

I'm parting out/selling my parts cars for this project: 1989 Mercury Colony Park wagon, 1982 Lincoln Mark VI, 1981 Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

It isn't clear to me if the ECM (aka MCU) is necessary for fuel flow on a feedback carb car; do we know that for sure (anyone)?

Seems to me it will have the independent fuel flow sensor mounted near the carb above the intake manifold (like Canadian 302s with non-feedback carbs that have Tripminders). If you can find some sort of 'module' with the fuel line going into it from the pump, then from the module into the carb, with an electrical connector, that should be the fuel flow sensor which operates the digital dash. I think.

You're a bit far for me to drive down to buy any parted-out parts, but there's a guy nearby in MI who needs some vacuum parts for headlight doors on a 78 Mercury and I think the Mark VI uses the same parts...
              Last edited by kishy; 08-28-2018, 01:57 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

..What kind of shape are the Mark VI's in and could we get some pics? Whereabouts are you located??
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by derekthegreat View Post
                  ..what kind of shape are the mark vi's in and could we get some pics? Whereabouts are you located??
                  Originally posted by bmininge3 View Post
                  live in western philadelphia suburbs. Heads are afr 1472 pedistal
                  lol
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

oh, 351, right. yeah there is no fuel injection on that, it has a fuel flow sensor between the pump and carb that feeds the dash. Retain the sensor and it should make the dash keep working.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                      It isn't clear to me if the ECM (aka MCU) is necessary for fuel flow on a feedback carb car; do we know that for sure (anyone)?
                      I’d put money on it not needing the MCU. (Forgot this was a carb car).

My old 82 ran without the MCU... just as “ok” as without it. That’s with the 7200VV. The original MCU fried somehow. The tripminder still worked. And the MPG was closer than my 88 has ever been.

Are 351W early panther Lincoln’s equipped with the 2150 stock (and no MCU)?
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'll be using a FITech quad throttle body EFI with it's own ECU and an MSD Ignition with it's own ECU. Working out the options of in tank pump or exterior mounted fuel pump. I like the digital dashboard and would like to maintain it's functionality. The Mark VI's are parts cars with lots of usable parts. Nothing has been removed from the '81. The '82 lost it's upper control arms to the '80. There were no replacement ball joints for the forged "skeleton" upper arms so I put later stamped arms on the '80. Otherwise everything is still there. Shame about the '81...it has a moon roof but I can't just reinstall it in my '80. The glass has been stored inside for 15 yrs.The '80 will get the biggest aftermarket unit I can find. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd share the project with all interested. Latest plan is load the engine parts onto a palette and take over to the machine shop which is a authorized dealer for all the brands I'm using and let them build the engine and dyno tune it before installation.

Comment

Unless that EFI system has a fuel flow data output that happens to be whatever format Ford's is, the fuel economy function isn't going to work. All of the rest of it will though.

Comment

Originally posted by bmininge3 View Post
                            Live in western Philadelphia suburbs. Heads are AFR 1472 Pedistal
                            Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            ..What kind of shape are the Mark VI's in and could we get some pics? Whereabouts are you located??
                            Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            lol
                            Oops.

"West Philadelphia born and raised, on the play grounds spent most of my days. Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' shootin' some b-ball outside da school..."
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              Oops.

"West Philadelphia born and raised, on the play grounds spent most of my days. Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' shootin' some b-ball outside da school..."
                              My thoughts exactly. LOL
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X