No announcement yet.

Header opinions/option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally i used factory mustang shorties. heaps better than manifolds even on the 82's anemic 255. also used them on a friends 88 Towny, both applications were fantastic. no install issues, no leaks, everything lined up. worth mentioning that during the header swap both cars got full new exhausts. Dad has a set of aftermarket BBK shorties hes planning to run on his 84 Vic Wagon. so in a nutshell, to my experience most 5.0 mustang options should match up with minimal effort.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Had a little set back since they stoled my truck but Almost complete finally got my h pipe got it for a good price $120 for a bbk from a mustang guy so it will have bbk headers and bbk hpipe with magnaflow mufflers. Hopefully it will sound good
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
        CATs are the difference between stink or no stink, at least the signature unburned hydrocarbon smell, which is what usually gets peoples attention now that virtually every car has a cat. If you run a carb, you'll definately smell it before you see it because mixture is never perfect with a carb. If you are running a cam (and carb), you err on the side of rich rather than lean so you don't blow a hole in something. Get behind a pre-75 passenger car or truck, you will quickly recognize a non-cat smell. With efi, you got a bit more leeway as the computer will always try to keep your air fuel in the correct range so smell is reduced, but you will still notice it.

Alex.
        Yep yep yep!

My '69 Plymouth STANK! Even when it was running stupid lean. Ashley's '91 Mark VII with no cats but EFI still stank but like you said, it was much better and you couldn't really smell it on the highway like I did my Fury. Although the Fury wasn't so bad on the highway either but holy hell, I've been behind other classics that I couldn't drive behind even 1/4mi behind them. Modern cars too, I mean once they start running bad & clog the cat, people lop it off and then drive their shitbox around until it just won't chooch any more, the rest of us be damned.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
          Had a little set back since they stoled my truck but Almost complete finally got my h pipe got it for a good price $120 for a bbk from a mustang guy so it will have bbk headers and bbk hpipe with magnaflow mufflers. Hopefully it will sound good
          Sorry to hear about your truck, but glad your exhaust setup is coming together. My other '90 had shorties, and off-road pipe, and custom cat-back. Without the cats it was pretty stinky so i had 2 cats put on. Much gooder.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Sorry to hear about your truck, but glad your exhaust setup is coming together. My other '90 had shorties, and off-road pipe, and custom cat-back. Without the cats it was pretty stinky so i had 2 cats put on. Much gooder.
            Yeah thanks still not sure on exhaust tips I think turn down or some 2.5 inch tips not sure how it would look with exhaust pipes sticking out from the back. Could yAll post some pictures from behind y’all cars if y’all have exhaust tips out the back

Comment

Yeah thanks still not sure on exhaust tips I think turn down or some 2.5 inch tips not sure how it would look with exhaust pipes sticking out from the back. Could yAll post some pictures from behind y’all cars if y’all have exhaust tips out the back
              Well. I went for the tucked look...just to give you an idea...This is ford racing headers, BBK off road h pipe into magnaflows then impala ss tailpipes and some 2 1/2 turn down just under the bumper. Full 2 1/2 system. I managed to tuck everything very nicely in my opinion. I have really nice magnaflow exhaust tips but with the angle of everything they would have never came out straight so they stay in storage until I may get something fully custom built.

Attached Files
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm a fan of barely visible tailpipes on these cars.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Me too. You can't even see my tail pipes unless you get right under my car.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Me too. You can't even see my tail pipes unless you get right under my car.
                    I seen a crown vic a few days ago with what looked like 3” tips and didn’t like how it look probably just get the turndowns.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Well. I went for the tucked look...just to give you an idea...This is ford racing headers, BBK off road h pipe into magnaflows then impala ss tailpipes and some 2 1/2 turn down just under the bumper. Full 2 1/2 system. I managed to tuck everything very nicely in my opinion. I have really nice magnaflow exhaust tips but with the angle of everything they would have never came out straight so they stay in storage until I may get something fully custom built.

Could you take a picture of those magnaflow exhuast tip those might be the same ones im looking at. Want to see how they look or maybe ill take them of your hands since mine will be custom from H-pipe back

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_093106.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1284781This is the setup on my first '90. 2.5" impala tailpipes and they just cut 90s for turndowns. Didn't like the tips really but they did tuck it up real nice.

Comment

Reminds me I definitely prefer staring at the Ford ass-end over the Mercury. But yeah, that's how my TC looks.

Comment

Comment

Exhaust that is as minimally visible as possible is my preference. Downturns that just clear the bottom of the bumper is just right. Mine don't even get down that far, though that wasn't entirely on purpose. Massive chrome pipes that look like they should be hanging drunkenly from the bottom of a half rotted out pickup with asspacks is NFG.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Could you take a picture of those magnaflow exhuast tip those might be the same ones im looking at. Want to see how they look or maybe ill take them of your hands since mine will be custom from H-pipe back
                                No can do. They are so buried in the attic it just aint worth the struggle.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X