Header opinions/option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header opinions/option

Im currently looking for headers for my stock 302. Do y’all have any that y’all recommend. I hear the frpp headers are good but i cant find them and bbk headers i hear are decent but have some issues. trying to see what available first.

I have cfrracing headers on mine. Worked great until rust got them. Will be changing them out soon for maybe some ebay headers

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a set of stainless ebay specials. Ill get them mounted hopefully later this week. The issue you will run into is that there are no o2 sensor bungs so they will have to be added. Also you will have to modify the flanges to mount the cat pipes unless you have a custom mid pipe or one from a mustang.

Comment

I have Hedmans that were so poorly made I had to get them milled flat to keep gaskets in them. Honestly I'd avoid cheap headers or individual flange headers. Both are prone to sucking.

If its a stock motor, to be flat honest, leave the manifolds on it and spend your money on things that will actually make power.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I have Hedmans that were so poorly made I had to get them milled flat to keep gaskets in them. Honestly I'd avoid cheap headers or individual flange headers. Both are prone to sucking.

If its a stock motor, to be flat honest, leave the manifolds on it and spend your money on things that will actually make power.
          My exhaust is currently bad muffler hanging lose and pipe has holes everywhere. Really wanted to replace everything. Stock motor is in there until it dies. Until then im working around it
          Currently only has Lincoln logs and ho intake and tb
          Big brakes done
          Needs exhaust wish I could wait for later but i dont think it will last longer
          Rearend and aluminum shaft will be going in after exhaust work. with rear disc and a posi.
          Last edited by Elias; 08-28-2018, 08:57 AM.

Comment

In that case just get cheap ebay headers and exhaust reducers unless you want to go bigger on the exhaust pipes

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought headers on ebay for like 80 bucks. They have thick flanges, came with hardware and gaskets. No complaints except the hardware was a bit chintzy. No leaks though. Pretty hard to beat if you ask me. I used a mustang h-pipe that had o2 bungs but my shop relocated them to a better spot.

Comment

The BBK shorty headers I had on the lopo worked great. Only complaint is that the ceramic coating started coming off after 6 years. This is what they looked like when I pulled the engine a couple years ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1284571

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                  The BBK shorty headers I had on the lopo worked great. Only complaint is that the ceramic coating started coming off after 6 years. This is what they looked like when I pulled the engine a couple years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]50824[/ATTACH]
                  Did you us a mustang mid pipe or was it custom

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                    Did you us a mustang mid pipe or was it custom
                    BBK Mustang mid-pipe; which hung low. It lasted 6 years as well before all of the impacts with the pavement wiped out the rear flanges. Replaced those a few months before cats rotted off. I would suggest having the mid-pipes made by a shop; or DIY if you have the skill (really patience). That's what I'm doing this time around.

Comment

I would suggest getting it custom made as well as it was a pain to get mine to fit up nicely.

Mine is tucked fairly well and never have I rubbed the ground with it though. Your results may vary.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i would suggest shorty unequal length with 1 5/8 tubes. SS is the best way to go over long term. Also most kits come with bolts that are to short. try to go with 1" or 3/4 inch bolts some might have to be shorter due to tube configurations at the flange.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

socket head cap screws (allen key bolts) make life less hateful too if you've got ball end allen keys.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            socket head cap screws (allen key bolts) make life less hateful too if you've got ball end allen keys.
                            ^^^This. Even small hex-head bolts are a whore to get at on a few of them. I bought some allen-head locking ones for when the headers go back on the car. Seriously though, cheap ebay headers and get a cheap mustang mid-pipe. Easier to modify something that's whole than to make new i'd think. My shop got mine tucked up real nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-79-93-M...!US!-1&vxp=mtr
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Road-H-...xbkcMR&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              ^^^This. Even small hex-head bolts are a whore to get at on a few of them. I bought some allen-head locking ones for when the headers go back on the car. Seriously though, cheap ebay headers and get a cheap mustang mid-pipe. Easier to modify something that's whole than to make new i'd think. My shop got mine tucked up real nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-79-93-M...!US!-1&vxp=mtr
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-Road-H-...xbkcMR&vxp=mtr
                              So I scored these bbk headers for $60 from a local mustang guy. Now got to look for a h pipe. Got to see i how much it would be to have it custom made.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X