Header opinions/option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    We used to get '94-96 impala SS tailpipes made by walker but they seem to have discontinued one side. The part numbers are Walker 54016 and 54017. These are just the over-the-axle pipes and not complete length keep in mind. There will be pipework involved but that makes it much easier.

Summit has the 54017 on clearance https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-54017/ Good luck on the 54016, seems to be out everywhere.
    You can try Heartthrob Exhaust systems. It appears they still make a catback for the 1994-1996 Caprice/Impala. I went with them 12 years ago when doing the full exhaust on the CV. We took one side of the mid-pipes and cut the S-bends off. Take the S-bends and use one for each side (they are slightly different from one another) of the CV. At least in my case, they placed the mufflers in the right spot. I still have the other mid-pipe from that kit; that I will use for the next exhaust system.

Part#20094

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/2009496.PDF

Comment

Come spring time, I’ll be doing Headman 1 5/8” long tubes. Needs small frame modification and slight relocation of fuel line on driver side. I have a crappy YouTube video of making the necessary clearance in the frame. Once I get the engine yanked from my parts car, I’ll have a part 2 to that video and will be making a template for the frame modification. TBH, it’s a reasonable amount of work for the sound benefit of longtubes, but anybody hell-bent on running them(like me) should stay tuned.
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...t/model/impala
        Doing a little research the consensus is that this is actually the same as the heart throb kit, and cheaper if anyone is looking. Or this is 5 bucks is the dealbreaker...
        https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Cat...791+4294829174
        Last edited by knucklehead0202; 12-20-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
          Come spring time, I’ll be doing Headman 1 5/8” long tubes. Needs small frame modification and slight relocation of fuel line on driver side. I have a crappy YouTube video of making the necessary clearance in the frame. Once I get the engine yanked from my parts car, I’ll have a part 2 to that video and will be making a template for the frame modification. TBH, it’s a reasonable amount of work for the sound benefit of longtubes, but anybody hell-bent on running them(like me) should stay tuned.
          Did you have interference at the cross member with the forward-most primary tube on the driver side header?

That's what I found when I used headers made for 67-70 Mustangs with a 351W. If I had a functional garage; I would have cut out the section of the cross member and notched it. I may do that in the future though.

Comment

The po of my 87 installed long tubes without modifying anything that I could see. I dont know what they are for but they fit no problem. Heres a pic of when I was in the middle of swapping back to efi, you can kind of see them. And another of them on the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
              Did you have interference at the cross member with the forward-most primary tube on the driver side header?

That's what I found when I used headers made for 67-70 Mustangs with a 351W. If I had a functional garage; I would have cut out the section of the cross member and notched it. I may do that in the future though.
              Driver side header is a breeze, passenger side is where the issue is.

87GrandMarq- I promise you, they modified something, somewhere to fit the passenger side. Crossmember ahead of the starter needs to be notched to clear the LT’s I’ve tried. I think I might be seeing how that pass. side could fit(still skeptical) Driver side is nearly a drop-in. Those look like FlowTech headers for a fox-body. Do you have a pic of them actually installed? I’m using Hedman Headers Fox-body LT’s
              Last edited by sick88tbird; 12-20-2019, 01:14 PM.
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Wait a second I just remembered the ones in the pic were in the trunk, the ones that were on it were mid lengths. Sorry. I could take pics of them if you’re interested but they aren’t full lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                  Driver side header is a breeze, passenger side is where the issue is.
                  Okay; mine are Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers for 67-70 Mustang with 351W/C6 combo (part description says automatic). The passenger side on mine has no issues; a little close to the cross member. I will keep an eye on that when I get around to firing the engine up. I got them at a swap meet a long time ago for future use; and had I rebuilt the 5.0L; they would not have fit at all without completely relocating that primary tube (way beyond my skill level). But I assumed that I would run into problems making headers for another vehicle fit our boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                    Wait a second I just remembered the ones in the pic were in the trunk, the ones that were on it were mid lengths. Sorry. I could take pics of them if you’re interested but they aren’t full lengths.

Okay, I thought something was up there. I didn’t want to throw the BS flag prematurely though! LOL

Comment

Sorry after looking at the pics I remembered that the ones that were on there had an o2 sensor bung and those didn’t.

Comment

Sorry after looking at the pics I remembered that the ones that were on there had an o2 sensor bung and those didn’t.

It’s all good, I took a screenshot of those longtubes to compare with my Hedman’s. I think the Hedmans may be the best fit with the least modification so far, but I’m always open to the idea of something better.

Comment

What about truck headers?

Comment

What about truck headers?

Longtube truck headers are all kinds of wrong.

Comment

I’m shocked seeing as these cars pretty much have a truck frame lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X