No announcement yet.

Header opinions/option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used Pypes 2.5" Trans Am splitters on mine.

I will post pics of the exhaust set up when I get to that point. Doug's headers (clear the bellhousing and look to be pointed in the right direction, we'll see), 3" exhaust piping (3" header collectors) including cats and cutouts; reduced down to 2.5" Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos (part# 17749); Impy tails and what's left of the Impy cat back that I got 12 years ago. ALso got Summit glasspacks to use as resonators in case the exhaust is too loud.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
      I used Pypes 2.5" Trans Am splitters on mine.

I will post pics of the exhaust set up when I get to that point. Doug's headers (clear the bellhousing and look to be pointed in the right direction, we'll see), 3" exhaust piping (3" header collectors) including cats and cutouts; reduced down to 2.5" Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos (part# 17749); Impy tails and what's left of the Impy cat back that I got 12 years ago. ALso got Summit glasspacks to use as resonators in case the exhaust is too loud.
      Man i was considering those tips! When i got mine done they basically cut 90s at the end and i hated it. There's like a weird turbulence that seems to swirl the exhaust back under the car and i smelled it constantly before i got cats put on it. Knowing it's still there bugs me and i've been examining tip options.

Comment

you'll have to have a bit of custom work done, but a set of mustang 5.0 headers and h-pipe will bolt up to your engine and chassis just fine. Its the back half of the car that's got to be different

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
          you'll have to have a bit of custom work done, but a set of mustang 5.0 headers and h-pipe will bolt up to your engine and chassis just fine. Its the back half of the car that's got to be different
          Im going to go all custom with bbk shorty 2.25” h pipe with magnaflow muffler. Probably get no cats first and see how i like it. Most likely get highflow cats but not sure. And tips not sure yet i think im might go with thoses turndowns or maybe these wish they were longer like 16 inch. But I don’t think they make any that long

Comment

I used a modified Jegs Cat back for the Impala SS on our 89 Town car. Once I start building my 2 dr I will be getting one for it, too.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

These things are super-stinky without cats. Otherwise i'd be totally happy to eschew them, but the stank.

Comment

Would high flow cat be enough to keep it from stinky

Comment

Should. And I tend to agree about the smell. Also honestly I have no opposition to reducing emissions. Call me a greenie hippie if you want but not pumping more crap into the air than necessary seems like a useful thing to do.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                    Would high flow cat be enough to keep it from stinky
                    Yes. The Mad Marquis also had high flow cats. They work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some 100 octane will make it smell better, no need for cats

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Cats are a lot cheaper than burning race fuel all the time. With a stock low compression engine there is no reason to use that anyway.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Cats are a lot cheaper than burning race fuel all the time. With a stock low compression engine there is no reason to use that anyway.
                          I know ill probably get killed for this but I always run 93 on mine always even with holes on the muffler and pipes it don’t really think it stink. But it does still have the original cats who knows if there shot though. Probably with high flow cats might smell the same.

Comment

My setup only has 2 cats on it and made a HUGE difference in how stinky it was. I don't really give a rat's ass about emissions, just don't want to asphyxiate myself or my kids. "High-flow" cats aren't really legal here. I had to have the commie "50-state" cats put on my car. $400 for the pair installed. Don't ever move to california. If you found something that was cheaper here than anywhere else, they'd figure it out and tax it to the point it'd be 5x the price.

Comment

unless the engine burns oil, coolant, or has some really f'd up fuel mixture cats last an extremely long time. I pulled originals off my Mark VII north of 200K that were fine, other than the case being cracked.

The 93 is not necessary but its not hurting anything but your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                                I know ill probably get killed for this but I always run 93 on mine always even with holes on the muffler and pipes it don’t really think it stink. But it does still have the original cats who knows if there shot though. Probably with high flow cats might smell the same.
                                CATs are the difference between stink or no stink, at least the signature unburned hydrocarbon smell, which is what usually gets peoples attention now that virtually every car has a cat. If you run a carb, you'll definately smell it before you see it because mixture is never perfect with a carb. If you are running a cam (and carb), you err on the side of rich rather than lean so you don't blow a hole in something. Get behind a pre-75 passenger car or truck, you will quickly recognize a non-cat smell. With efi, you got a bit more leeway as the computer will always try to keep your air fuel in the correct range so smell is reduced, but you will still notice it.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                                X