Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 TC won't start

1. Battery is good to go.
    2. No clicks, starter does not engage..car does not attempt to start. No idiot lights.

Where should I start...I am lost in the suace when it comes to anything electrical.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

What happens when you turn the key to start? Everything go dead, lights dim, nothing changes? I'd start by checking all the battery cables and make sure they are CLEAN and tight. Even a loose ground could cause an issue. Barring that, pull out the owners manual and check for any fuses and be sure they're good.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Will check the connections. Lights stay on, air compressor for ride engaged as well.

Comment

Click sound goes to here, replaced with one by battery. Nothing. When turning key, dash lights go away... momentarily. Battery is less than a year old.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180829_152012502.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1284570
        Last edited by Grand1; 08-29-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

From everything I have read...think it's the starter. I have a remote starter which stopped working about a year ago...would this complicate things during replacement?
          Last edited by Grand1; 08-29-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Replacing the starter on a remote start equipped vehicle versus a non equipped vehicle should be no difference. The difference is all electrical stuff such as receiver and relays that the non equipped vehicle does not have, but that stuff usually resides near the ignition switch not near the starter.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks, I just noticed my mercury flip switch under my hood. Gotta test the starter, 12V with someone turning the key.

Comment

Make sure the trigger wire for the starter is connected. If it's loose, you'll have the same issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Used jumper cable from battery to starter. Not starting. Replace the 15 year old starter? No Question.

Comment

yup

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is that car too new & fawncy to have it's starter coaxed with a hammer? ..just a few love taps, promise.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

One side of wheel well is toast. 110 thousand miles, though. I'm a part changer I guess... or notch it to prevent maintenance. Got the starter $64 delivered... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180904_201414627.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1284596 seems serviceable
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180904_201411650.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1284595

Comment

Has a test report with squiggly lines onto it. Must be skookum.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Of course... I paid for that. Rebuilding the OEM starter and hell, my alternator too,then as that will hit 16 years soon. I guess,they are bound to fail. Just lazy, the haphazard Rock Auto Purchase.! And garage less.

Dead on an incline, crappy parking spot. I will Tap tap to move, as pushing it.... is not in the cards.Steep driveway all around.
                            Last edited by Grand1; 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Buying a replacement is cheaper than rebuilding your own. Price out a brush assembly and the pinion drive, the two primary wear items and you are well beyond the price of a complete unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X