Help in selecting LED Running Stop etc. bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help in selecting LED Running Stop etc. bulbs

I am going to swap the Marauder exterior bulbs after the LED headlights make the other front lights look anemic.

There are many like these 1,000 lumen bulbs 3.7W
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EW1MCP3S&psc=1

Many like these 1,600 lumen bulbs with a forward lens 5.6W
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBYPQ1M...ding=UTF8&th=1

Sylvania Zevo has a front deflector. Sort of the opposite of the forward shooting ones. 1.5W
    https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...3157+led&psc=1

The regular Sylvania's also only emit out the sides but do not have a deflector. 2.5W
    https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-3157...a+3157+led+red

I currently believe you need to pick the correct size and importantly the type or style & output of the LED bulb for the particular housing and purpose.

For example the forward housings and the marauder. These are the same as 03-05? Grand Marquis with a tint. I think I need forward shooting bulbs as the bulbs pretty much face forward. I think they will splash well to the side but I don't think the housings give much forward reflection. Then the question is how bright to make them. they really just need to be seen clearly next to the LED headlights.

The ditch lights I think are similar in that most of the reflector looks like it supports side lighting. So again get something with forward emitters?

Now the Tail/Brake lights. You are all familiar with the Crown Vic Tail lights. Marauder is the same but with a darker tint and different trim. With those I have no idea what style and power of bulb to use.

The reverse lights I am thinking they should be something that shoots out rather then relying on reflection but then again that is just me thinking.

So given the four styles I have found and different outputs I am open for discussion.

When I look at headlights the typical halogen headlight has a shield that make all the light leaving the housing an indirect reflection so I am not really sure what would be best on the marker/stop etc. bulbs

My first inclination was the Sylvania but the lack of forward light made me stop and look further and eventually start this discussion. Do they know something more then the others?

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 08-29-2018, 12:45 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Vleds.com that what I have on all my cars. There a bit pricey but worth it haven’t need to replace any in like 9+ years best things is to buy them is when there on sale.
    http://www.vleds.com

Comment

Which they are now @ 20% off for memorial day weekend for orders >$200. It would be very easy to spend copious cash on that site.
      They look well made. I talked to their tech support. They had not had a CV or GM for testing but he was helpful nonetheless. He confirmed I should use a forward emitting unit for the front turns/markers given the configuration of the housing which he looked at online.

As far as the ditch he thought either configuration would be better then stock.
      He believes a side emitting bulb would be normal for the tails but their basic bulb would still offer a significant improvement.

They seem to have 3 lines of bulbs in what I was looking for 3157 & 3156. $30 for each base bulb side & forward emitter (FE), $40 for the midline side emitter (SE) & $130 for the highline with a bulblike top emitter lens doing all the emitting similar to an incandescent. Plus some $40 FE switchbacks and a $45 HO SE 3156 reverse light bulb. This HO bulb has a max 5min runtime before requiring a short cooldown. Almost worth the money just so you can tell folks in the parking lot about the required cooldown.

Tough choices due to the prices. Heck 10 topline bulbs would be $1,300 less 20% or $1,040 delivered. Going with all lowline it would be $300 less 20% or $240. So somewhere in between those #'s if one were to do all bulbs from these folks.

Very tempting. Quality is compelling.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Not sure what car your talking about. But On mine i have 360 firing on all of them i figured that way the light will bounce off the back lenses and look brighter.
        Turn singles are amber
        Tails light are red
        Reverse are 6k
        Interior lights are 5500k
        Dash cluster and a/c are blue
        Light in between the two door is also blue
        And my light on lower fenders are 6k

If you want ill post pictures. Also top of line I wouldn’t get to much. Like the 3156 bulb ima get the 40$ ones the high vis and put them in my marauder. And the ones i have in the marauder ima move them to the wifes tahoe 😂. Lol.
        Last edited by Elias; 08-30-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I am doing the Marauder since I put in LED 9007 bulbs. Just the exterior and Trunk & Hood bulbs.
          I went with the VLED low-end $30 front & side fire for the front housings, Amber & White
          Got a good EBAY deal on Red Sylvania Zevos' (4 for $25) for the rear corners & Whites for the Trunk & Hood.
          Ordered the 1,000 lumen ones on Amazon, that I linked to above for the reverse lights.
          This generally followed the advise of the VLED tech. Front & side fire for the front end bulbs, side emitters for the tails and I went with some highly rated but cheaper front emitters for the reverse lights.
          Those $130 bulbs looked really nice but.....

Maybe someday I will add some puddle lights.
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Anyone try 'switchback' bulbs yet???
            I made the mistake of buying these, they are crap.
            Not only does the white NOT go out with the turn signals, the amber part is so dim, you'd never see it anyway.
            The concept is good, but these bulbs are not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-1157-D...e/322333241932
            Attached Files
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That is a poor implementation if the whites do not change to yellow. After all you want folks to see and recognize the turn signals.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Right! The item listing is very misleading... Even with the parking lights off, the amber is still too dim to be useful!
                Luckily my craving for this function will be satisfied (for now) with the mini- DRLs I bought - they have the switchback action and are plenty bright. The listing for these was misleading also, but in a good way... turns out the turn signal part is sequential as well...!!!!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

John had some 1157 types from superbrightleds that we tried on my Continental. The running lights are a little brighter, but the stop lights were not. Honestly it wasn't enough difference for me to justify changing the bulbs out. I might do something with the reverse lights because those absolutely suck. Might also have to see about upgrading the cornering lamps, those also kinda suck. If I can get away with not losing the lamp outage functions I'd be satisfied. I might also swap out the interior bulbs for some brighter warm white lamps.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 on the reverse lights. Why the heck not? I don't think any of my Ford products will throw an error code on those but I have not changed the Lincoln or Escape bulbs yet.

I have got to say I always knew that leds light faster then incandescent but seeing it live I am now convinced it is worth doing stoplights for that reason alone. It seems like a good 1/2 second faster. That is enough to make a difference in a rear end hit. Plus the Red Sylvania Zevos are certainly brighter then the stock Sylvania 3157Ks in the Marauder.

The 1157's you tried were they Red? Until I started paying attention to this stuff I didn't know you need to match LED bulb colors to the Lens color, excepting turns and stops in clear lens housings. Those need to be Amber or Red respectively

I think you can keep the bulb out functionality with the use of resistors, Two 8ohm in series to each other but in parallel to the bulb will generate less concentrated heat. I think "Buy two resistors and try it."
                    If I understand it correctly you need at least 1 resistor per filament for turns and flashers . Possibly 2 resistors will retain bulb out warnings. if you have light out notifications in addition to "no-flash" or "hyper flash" then 1 or 2 resistors per each additional filament may bypass the error codes.

I just wanted the simplicity of an electronic flasher which btw is all the Pre-ECM guys have to do unless they have fancy cars with bulb out electronics. Is that what's in your Lincoln's? But I believe if you just change the flasher you loose "the no" flash of a thermal switcher with LED bulbs. That applies only to the 4 corner flashers. All others bulbs should work no problem on the non-fancy cars. I guess the Euro and Asian cars are different as they have the Amber turns in the rear so you may be able to swap the stop and running bulbs to red Leds without any fuss at least on the older cars that don't connect the lighting to the canbuss network.

Also the cornering lights make a big difference when you need them.
                    Last edited by jaywish; 09-08-2018, 05:25 PM.
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

The lamp outage stuff on these old cars is fairly low tech. It has a resistor wire, and if the voltage drop across it is not what it expects you get a warning lamp. Not sure what the accepted range is, I'm sure I could fake it with resistors but I really do not want to modify the harness at all. Worst case, the bulbs come out of the warning indicators and the problem goes away. Its not anything on a message center, its just a light in the overhead console. 80s Towncars did have it in the message center, but mine is not a digital dash car.

I think they were red, honestly I don't quite know for sure though. We stuck one of them in, and it uses two bulbs per lens. Side by side with the stops lit you couldn't tell other than the LED lit quicker. With the running lights on there was some difference.

I've thought about going amber LED on the clear markers in the Towncar and Continental, but having to change the blinker is a hangup. I know its stupid, but the sound that the electronic ones make just isn't right.

Honestly the LCM nonsense on newer cars to provide lamp flasher functionality seems silly to me. Relays and all in a box, fine, but why would you not make them standard socket type units so if it fails you can just change it? Seems like that thing just adds a lot of complication for very little benefit. Considering that they burn out and cause safety issues, I'm really surprised there was not a re-design to make them serviceable or at least more durable.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        Anyone try 'switchback' bulbs yet???
                        I made the mistake of buying these, they are crap.
                        I have seen them in action out on the road, I do not like the switching colors, just looks wrong overall.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Honestly the LCM nonsense on newer cars to provide lamp flasher functionality seems silly to me. Relays and all in a box, fine, but why would you not make them standard socket type units so if it fails you can just change it? Seems like that thing just adds a lot of complication for very little benefit. Considering that they burn out and cause safety issues, I'm really surprised there was not a re-design to make them serviceable or at least more durable.
                        Unnecessary complication like a lot of things they do on newer vehicles. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                        X