got a miss need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got a miss need help

got new distributor,cap rotor,wires,plugs,coil,tfi also new injectors,fuel filter.it idles fine just when you press the gas it misses i'm lost on this one.checked wires for resistance they were good,new pip ford motorcraft,tfi motorcraft.checked for codes koeo,koer got code 11. any help thanks

Unhook the EGR valve and see if anything changes. I had this same problem for years, it was a sticky EGR regulator that was trying to open the EGR valve full as soon as the throttle tipped in a little bit. If thats the problem you have, pulling the green hose off the valve will stop it. If no change, its something else.

Also worth checking the output voltage on the TPS. If it has a dead spot it might act stupid like this too.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Unhook the EGR valve and see if anything changes. I had this same problem for years, it was a sticky EGR regulator that was trying to open the EGR valve full as soon as the throttle tipped in a little bit. If thats the problem you have, pulling the green hose off the valve will stop it. If no change, its something else.

Also worth checking the output voltage on the TPS. If it has a dead spot it might act stupid like this too.
      Egr is deleted

Comment

Did you check the firing order again? That has screwed me up more than once, no wait make that more than twice... or so....
        Heck I once bought a boat that they could not get running right. Rode it from the Hudson to LI sound at just above idle. Next day found the order was wrong. It idled fine but when RPMs increased it wanted to tear itself apart.
        Did you check for spark at the plugs?

Did you do the pull one wire off at a time to see if it relates to a particular cylinder? This works if it is a bad wire, plug or injector/wire or mechanical like valve.
        As you pull one plug it should get worse. If it doesn't run worse that localized the problem.
        But check the order again when it is cool outside.

Still could be a TFI that doesn't like the heat.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Pulled plugs one at a time engine dropped rpms firing order right

Comment

Check cap and rotor to make sure they're making good contact. Several folks have dealt with bad out of the box parts for those exact parts lately.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cap and rotor are fine

Comment

7 and 8 wires aren’t touching? I know those can crossfire each other.

Does it the miss happen at a certain engine RPM, driving condition, or speed?

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

7,8 aren’t touching miss happens during acceleration

Comment

Did you test the TPS for dead spots/shorts?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

tps checked out. tested injectors read 14.8 ohm and one tested 16.0 ohm could this be a bad injector?

Comment

Possible but the ohm reading doesn't mean much. Unless the coil is open they basically work as long as they are not clogged up
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X