No announcement yet.

What Panthers Did You Find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, a Ford Grand Marquis. I ain't never seen anything like that before in my life!
    I'd run it, I like the early taillights on GM's, hated the later full style ones.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Was just cruising around looking at some older listings and stumbling into looking at Latin market cars.

This '82 GMQ caught my eye:
      https://www.autosyucatan.com/autos/ford-grand-marquis/

It has the Ford dash. The exterior sports the correct Ford badging since Mercury wasn't marketed down there, but did all the Latin market GMQs of that era ship with a Ford dash instead? It looks like it features a KMH speedometer head.
      I’d like to find more info on these for the Box History page. What years they were offered. Engine/trans options. 2150/VV/CFI/SEFI? Differences compared to US/Canadian market cars. Ford de Mexico seems to be separated from the rest of North America.

How about a Ford Grand Marquis Country Squire: https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...-impecable-_JM
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        How about a Ford Grand Marquis Country Squire: https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...-impecable-_JM
        It’s like it’s a full on identity crisis. Interesting they just used FORD block letter on the later grilles vs the Ford emblem. Again, a Ford dash too. The engine doesn’t look normal, it looks much older. A/C compressor is wrong, that looks like a early, non-electronic ignition distributor cap.

‘84 GMQ: https://m.automexico.com/auto-ford-g...mano-aid882975

Ford dash again. Also, the seats don’t look like the ones we got.

‘83 GMQ: https://m.automexico.com/auto-ford-g...cion-aid864679

Features old school engine, WTF?

I think a major telltale if the car was Latin America bound or if it’s down from North America is if Mercury is somewhere on the body instead of Ford. It also looks like KMH stuff should be standard too, so a regular imperial speedometer probably shouldn’t be there.

So the questions are: How long did they get a Ford dash, and what engine was using that super early configuration? That doesn’t look anything like what we got.

‘81 Ford/Merc Wagon: https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...-impecable-_JM
        That interior though. Ford nose and Mercury rear? Oh, the Latin market is wild. I’m sure there’s a ton of export market stuff we’ve never seen. I always thought it was just some badge slapping and calling it a day, but this stuff is next level.
        Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          Wow, a Ford Grand Marquis. I ain't never seen anything like that before in my life!
          I'd run it, I like the early taillights on GM's, hated the later full style ones.
          Those are marketed in Mexico too. I have seen them many times in LA-San Diego.

Comment

My first guess on the engine was engine was engine swap but they all look the same. Lack of emission controls I bet. Good eye on the distributor. Don’t see a duraspark box... points under there? Hmmm. V belts too. My guess is they were already using that setup elsewhere (pickups?) and carried it over.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've heard that up until recently GM was selling modern looking vehicles with carbureted engines in China, so that's plausible..

Comment

+1, Ford Grand Marquis from Mexico. Those I've heard of and know they exist, unlike the V6 Conquistador Panther from Venezuela which I'm certain does not exist (documentation mix-up or not a Panther as far as I can tell).

Once things settle down at the new place perhaps I'll get back into updating this thread.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

'81 Country Squire, pure Mexico right here from the obvious paint job to the wtf is up with that fan shroud (is that homemade?).
                  https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...-impecable-_JM

An '82 2-door Ford Grand Marqis with clock delete, manual seats, and power windows:
                  https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...marquis-82-_JM
                  60K pesos is only about $3100 USD currently.

An '83 2-door Fore Grand Marquis with clock delete, manual windows, but dual power seats:
                  https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM...rquis-1983-_JM

From what I've seen it looks like aero Ford Grand Marquis really got weird (well the boxes are pretty weird too) with every "Mercury" being replaced by a blue oval "Ford" but every Mercury Flying M symbol being left as is.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

LoL I'd rather have power windows than power seats. Unless of course the power seats have a memory function as all it takes is one person to stab a button or two and then you're off spending 30 minutes trying to get comfy again.

Comment

I like the seat pattern the those cars. Quite stylish.
                      I would like to have those red seats in the black 2 door. Perfect replacement for what my 83 MGM has.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        I’d like to find more info on these for the Box History page. What years they were offered. Engine/trans options. 2150/VV/CFI/SEFI? Differences compared to US/Canadian market cars. Ford de Mexico seems to be separated from the rest of North America.

WTAF is up with that link? The '84 for $150k peso-dollars? *$7800 USD* Is... Is that a LOCK CYLINDER behind the Country Squire Badging!?!?
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Looks like a lock cylinder to me. Not the first time I've seen that, in the same location, on a Mexican/South American car either. Although I have no idea what it's for.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

'99 CV LX... 2 door convertible (or is it just missing the top) for the low low price of $4499!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...86060485467056
                            Doesn't seem to be on the dealer's website, only on FB marketplace. Maybe they sold it already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	47702290_2333428980032767_2432853867990351872_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1285497

Name:	47702459_2086990488033809_1091090700147097600_n.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1285498

Name:	47996610_2605112319514000_4064283752128315392_n.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1285499

Name:	47594838_1991775920918407_2046966256334012416_n.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1285500

Name:	47701955_2166327956751981_8084378604382715904_n.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1285501

Name:	47595325_1934781476569600_3067477518387773440_n.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1285502
                            Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

That's a roadster. It's got no top. That's just a cap to cover the cut off top C pillars. IIRC. Seen it several times before.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Aha, so that's the term for it.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X