What Panthers Did You Find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GMQ: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Mercur...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Was there something up with '85 and antenna placement? Seems that's the only year I can look up an LTD or GMQ and find either the antenna on the fender or the rear quarter panel. Nothing points as to why.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Just like the 05 CV/GM antenna on the r/rear quarter panel. One year only. Who knows why. Maybe it code language for something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        '85 GMQ: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Mercur...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Was there something up with '85 and antenna placement? Seems that's the only year I can look up an LTD or GMQ and find either the antenna on the fender or the rear quarter panel. Nothing points as to why.
        My dad says it's possible they were built in 2 places, one was St Louis, the other in St Thomas Canada, that may have determined antenna placement. Check production plate/vin sticker in the doors.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          Just like the 05 CV/GM antenna on the r/rear quarter panel. One year only. Who knows why. Maybe it code language for something ?
          I always thought someone may have ordered the wrong length cable or something along those lines so they just ran with it.

Only a Panther enthusiast would ever notice it. 05 is an oddball year anyway. First year of DBW but the old style cluster.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
            My dad says it's possible they were built in 2 places, one was St Louis, the other in St Thomas Canada, that may have determined antenna placement. Check production plate/vin sticker in the doors.
            Vin on the listing has it as built in St Thomas. I miss that plant... Just a big field with a fence around it now. Elgin County archives has an online exhibit about it for anyone who's interested in the plant's history:

http://www.elgin.ca/ElginCounty/Cult...bit/index.html
            ************************************************** ******************************
            1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
            1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
            http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

The leading 2 does indicate that it was built in Canada, so I take it plant code X is St Thomas, which makes sense since all the newer boxes I'm used to seeing (which were indeed built at St Thomas) start with 2 and have plant code X in the VIN.

First VIN character for the US was 1, and plant code Y (at least for lincoln). https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Town-C...2:pf:1&vxp=mtr
              (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...rer_identifier).
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Clock-delete '79 for $600 - worn-looking but might make a nice driver depending on the seller's definition of "tune up".

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...737594179.html
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Interesting.

It looks like it does not have rear defrost, unless it has the weird '79 remote rear defrost I vaguely remember someone mentioning (? something about a fan and heater mounted in the package tray area). No rear defrost might mean it didn't spend its whole life in MN/WI.

Has the optional passenger side mirror. Definitely at least DD quality, better shape than my cars. I see what looks like a little rust in front of and behind the rear wheels, and what looks like a bubbly spot behind the front driver side wheel.

Looks like it's been sitting a while, the black gunk around the gas door is a good indicator, but I'm sure there are other indicators someone else will spot.

For $600 I'd consider that a decent deal.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by Stocker View Post
                    Clock-delete '79 for $600 - worn-looking but might make a nice driver depending on the seller's definition of "tune up".

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...737594179.html
                    Not the worst for $600. Roof ain’t pretty, but that could be cleaned up reasonably.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've never DD'd a carb'd car and don't know that I'd want to honestly. Especially one with a tree-speed.

They leveled St. Thomas?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Agreed. Unless you like sitting in a frozen car while playing footsie with the accelerator. But of $600? It's amazing that one could score a car for that price.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

They leveled St. Thomas?
                          Yep. A couple/few years ago. I live 30 mins from it and drive by once in a while on my way to Shaw's ice cream.
                          ************************************************** ******************************
                          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
                          1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
                          http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                            Agreed. Unless you like sitting in a frozen car while playing footsie with the accelerator. But of $600? It's amazing that one could score a car for that price.
                            ..Footsie with the accelerator..

Yep, been there done that with my no choke 318. Stalling in the middle of an intersection sucks. $600 is purchase price, figure at least double that in repairs & improvements haha.

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                            Yep. A couple/few years ago. I live 30 mins from it and drive by once in a while on my way to Shaw's ice cream.
                            OH wow, too bad they didn't leave it standing. Would have turned into something like the Packard plant maybe...
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The guy I bought The Ice Car from has some whales for sale:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...742293890.html

The barn in the background is where The Ice Car sat for 6-7 years before I bought it.
                              The rattle can spray paint overspray is this guy's signature... lol.
                              Maybe I should go check out the '01 CVPI.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                                The guy I bought The Ice Car from has some whales for sale:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...742293890.html

The barn in the background is where The Ice Car sat for 6-7 years before I bought it.
                                The rattle can spray paint overspray is this guy's signature... lol.
                                Maybe I should go check out the '01 CVPI.
                                The one from VA... Virginia is one of those states you must specify what part it’s from to assume no salt/rust free. Towards the coast you are good. The middle is fair. The western part of the state is salty! They even have a town called Saltville. No lie. Same with North Carolina so I hear.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X