Intake elbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake elbow

Has anyone tried or know if it'll work to put a efi carb based lower intake and a intake elbow on top on a box? Id assume it would work if the vacuums stay connected since the elbow has fittings for vacuum lines. Would like to have better access to my valve covers while cleaning up the engine bay and getting a bit more power.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Something like this is what im talking about.

Comment

No reason it can't work provided its not too tall to clear the hood. If you're keeping the stock EFI management it may not have all the spots for the assorted sensors. Vacuum is vacuum, as long as its connected to the manifold below the throttle body all that will work as expected.

What are your plans for the motor? Unless its something fairly radical, honestly you don't need this sort of intake. The factory-type ones will likely work better and be less difficult to use. If this is a stock engine, this will be way too much intake. It will probably make less power honestly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Motor has a truck cam, heads have been worked on ported and installed better springs and valves. Have headers and full custom dual exhaust. Planning on adding a baby turbo soon for a little more horsepower but im pretty sure the stock intake is going to bottleneck the airflow.

Comment

thats not nearly enough to justify that much intake. An Explorer intake would do you fine.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How much is too much for an explorer intake to handle?

Comment

Somewhere in the 300-350 hp range, but thats probably with the lower ported. Unported its probably good for 300 at the upper end. The PPI Edelbrock knockoff is another choice, and it can be reversed to work with our wiring and plumbing. The other trick about all this is how well does the intake match the motor. With a truck cam it won't spin to any kind of stupid RPM, which means it doesn't need a huge intake. It probably doesn't even want a huge intake. People have put Explorer intakes on stock lopo motors and found that it kind of sucks. Too much intake for the engine.

Comment

Well the reason im considering a bigger intake is because i have awesome power at lower rpms but as soon as i start going upwards of 3k it starts bogging down especially down the highway

Comment

The Explorer intake will let the engine breathe better, but truck cams tend to suck at RPM so it may be a mix of things. Depending what you did with the EFI, that may also be a problem. If its stock and the engine is not, I'd pretty much guarantee it isn't giving the proper amount of fuel. It wants some tuning to be right.

Comment

Well i put the most flowing fuel pump assembly rockauto had when my fuel pump died. But i did get told 19lb injectors are too much so i got some reman 14lb from ebay when my #8 fuel injector got stuck open.

Comment

The ECM has to match the injectors. If you're running the stock un-tuned computer, it has to use a 14#. To use a 19# it needs a tune, which it probably needs anyway. Once you get away from a stock engine, the stock computer tune gets less and less useful. My car runs 24# injectors, a mass air ECM, and the fuel and timing curves have been diddled to make it behave itself, which it does admirably. It was running fairly decent with the un-tuned mass air but its definitely better now. Ran like crap with an un-tuned Mark VII computer.

Comment

Ill try to find a tuner around san antonio that wont charge an arm and a leg then. Might help me out with my shitty gas mileage too

Comment

probably. I added fuel to mine and the mileage and power went up considerably. It also stopped pinging.

Comment

If you turbo it you can probably get away with an intake like that. NA it would be a total fuckin' turd. I put 24# injectors, performer 5.0 heads, a typhoon intake, 1.7 rockers, a 65mm lightning TB/egr spacer, and C&L 77 MAF on my otherwise stock '90 lopo, and it really changed the way it ran. I didn't get enough miles on the setup to honestly tell you what it did to mileage, but low-end torque was completely gone. That said, if you manually shifted the damn fool thing pulled forever. I usually shifted because i was afraid it would just blow up, but it kept pulling. The computer was kinda starting to get the hang of things about the time i got wrecked, so i'll never know how good it could've actually run.

The typhoon intake allows pretty good access to things, although because of the rocker setup i ran, it was necessary to run a tall valve cover. With stock ones life would be very easy and aftermarket 5.0 intakes are dirt cheap these days. I have a BBK SSI in the garage that is reversible if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X