No announcement yet.

Rear control arms for sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not had great luck with re-using front endlinks. They break a lot of the time. If yours aren't rusted and they come apart though, you're good.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome thanks. Theres police cars all over the place around here but their all newer. I was hoping i could use one, wishful thinking
      1989 MGM & 2016 Tacomasigpic

Comment

I message chris from adtr A few days ago about this. Would be cool if he could make a upgrade for the rear control arms. Since on his vic he has the metco rear arms. He said he would think about it.

Comment

BTW my X 89 wagon came with the heavy gauge steel control arms but no sway. The bars were not rolled nor did they have the second set of holes to mount the bar. So I don't know if only wagons got the heavy bars or any later box. The only way I could tell the difference between the (early?) thin bars and these was with a gauge.

It was an easy conversion. Just roll the lower lip a bit, mount up the bar to the single set of holes, drill the second set of holes using the bar ass a template.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I wonder if theres any other models i can look for at scrap yards that could have the bars for our boxes

Comment

Wagons have a bigger than PI yet hollow front bar (1 3/16) if you can find one. Very early tow package cars sometimes got the solid front big bar (1 1/8).

Box PI is your only source for the fattest rear bar (1”). Handling RPO cars got a smaller bar that’s not too hard to find that’s better than nothing. In 1990, the frame changed and you can use a rear aero bar IIRC. Look up above your rear axle for two frame brackets with single holes in the middle, forward. Late 89 might be close enough but I doubt it.

There is also the option in the rear to add the brackets and install an aero or aftermarket bar: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ED-87-Town-Car
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You can pick up an addco front bar from summit or similar. It will bolt right up. I had one installed and removed it because it was too wide. At full lock the tires would rub it.

You can also install aero front bars. Those normally get different end links and attach to the spindles, though I recall some peeps just using the stock box end links on them and everything working out just fine.

I have one on my car attached to the spindles as I have upgraded to big brakes.

Unfortunately I do not have an easy option for the rear for you.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Would a bar from a 86 lincoln lsc work?
                  Attached Files

Comment

The rear bars on those use endlinks more like the 90s Vics do. Its also too narrow. I'm not super motivated to climb under mine for measurements but its definitely not the same rear bar design.

if you ever run across one with a diesel engine, I've got a shopping list I could send you
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wonder if some of those adjustable g-body upper arms would fit? Lowers would need to be custom. still have a few sets of boxing plates laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        bigger yet hollow
                        I was having a conversation about this with a friend who is very knowledgeable about automotive engineering, and other engineering I suppose. Apparently it is, above all else, the diameter of the sway bar that dictates its effectiveness, and as he explained it it does make sense. The twisting action applied to the bar will be better resisted the further away from the center line the outer surface of the bar is (think of it like increasing the length of a lever to give you more leverage).

He said in almost any case, if you can have a bar of a particular dimension that is solid, or you can have one of a somewhat bigger dimension that is hollow, go with the bigger diameter one to see the most effective benefit.

I can't say I can find any information to the contrary. There are obviously strength considerations; a skinny solid bar will perform equivalent to a slightly larger hollow bar. In some suspensions, space is a consideration, so saving space by using a skinnier solid bar makes sense. Since we've generally got acres of room with the only pinch point being where the lower rad hose wants to be, a huge bar isn't really an issue.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

I measured my front bar lastnight and its 1-3/16" so it either has a tow package or had already been upgraded. I only have one hole in the rear control arms so if I ever find a bar that fits ( which seems impossible to find) i have no problem drilling a second hole

Comment

I have the smaller rear bar that ill be selling in a few months. Ima be upgrading to the bigger 1” bar if you want it

Comment

I'm interested if he's not. Looking locally, though--hoping to find a bar, control arms, and locking rear together.

Comment

yeah the spring is mostly a factor of diameter. The wagon bar should be extremely similar in stiffness to the solid police bar, but it weighs less. Not adding more weight to the front is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X