PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear control arms for sway bar

Wagons have a bigger than PI yet hollow front bar (1 3/16) if you can find one. Very early tow package cars sometimes got the solid front big bar (1 1/8).

Box PI is your only source for the fattest rear bar (1”). Handling RPO cars got a smaller bar that’s not too hard to find that’s better than nothing. In 1990, the frame changed and you can use a rear aero bar IIRC. Look up above your rear axle for two frame brackets with single holes in the middle, forward. Late 89 might be close enough but I doubt it.

There is also the option in the rear to add the brackets and install an aero or aftermarket bar: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ED-87-Town-Car
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

You can pick up an addco front bar from summit or similar. It will bolt right up. I had one installed and removed it because it was too wide. At full lock the tires would rub it.

You can also install aero front bars. Those normally get different end links and attach to the spindles, though I recall some peeps just using the stock box end links on them and everything working out just fine.

I have one on my car attached to the spindles as I have upgraded to big brakes.

Unfortunately I do not have an easy option for the rear for you.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Would a bar from a 86 lincoln lsc work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20190107-091948_Kijiji.jpg  
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacoma

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The rear bars on those use endlinks more like the 90s Vics do. Its also too narrow. I'm not super motivated to climb under mine for measurements but its definitely not the same rear bar design.

if you ever run across one with a diesel engine, I've got a shopping list I could send you

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I wonder if some of those adjustable g-body upper arms would fit? Lowers would need to be custom. still have a few sets of boxing plates laying around.

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    bigger yet hollow
    I was having a conversation about this with a friend who is very knowledgeable about automotive engineering, and other engineering I suppose. Apparently it is, above all else, the diameter of the sway bar that dictates its effectiveness, and as he explained it it does make sense. The twisting action applied to the bar will be better resisted the further away from the center line the outer surface of the bar is (think of it like increasing the length of a lever to give you more leverage).

He said in almost any case, if you can have a bar of a particular dimension that is solid, or you can have one of a somewhat bigger dimension that is hollow, go with the bigger diameter one to see the most effective benefit.

I can't say I can find any information to the contrary. There are obviously strength considerations; a skinny solid bar will perform equivalent to a slightly larger hollow bar. In some suspensions, space is a consideration, so saving space by using a skinnier solid bar makes sense. Since we've generally got acres of room with the only pinch point being where the lower rad hose wants to be, a huge bar isn't really an issue.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards thread/imgur

I measured my front bar lastnight and its 1-3/16" so it either has a tow package or had already been upgraded. I only have one hole in the rear control arms so if I ever find a bar that fits ( which seems impossible to find) i have no problem drilling a second hole
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacoma

I have the smaller rear bar that ill be selling in a few months. Ima be upgrading to the bigger 1” bar if you want it

I'm interested if he's not. Looking locally, though--hoping to find a bar, control arms, and locking rear together.

yeah the spring is mostly a factor of diameter. The wagon bar should be extremely similar in stiffness to the solid police bar, but it weighs less. Not adding more weight to the front is a good thing.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by bgreywolf View Post
    I'm interested if he's not. Looking locally, though--hoping to find a bar, control arms, and locking rear together.
    Bgreywolf dm me im just waiting to get my rear ended rebuilt and powder coated then Ima sell you would need to make your own spacers

spacers are easy, can fab from 1/4 or 3/8 pipe nipples if nothing else.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

I didn't have to fuck with my rear control arms on either '90 to put the cop sway bar on them. Maybe this is an earlier box thing?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    I didn't have to fuck with my rear control arms on either '90 to put the cop sway bar on them. Maybe this is an earlier box thing?
    I think it’s hit or miss random. My 82 was bolt on. The 88 needed some vise grip attention to the inner lip. And the 90 has only one set of holes.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Both of my '91s only have one hole for a sway bar (build dates 3/90 and 11/90), I'd have to bolt the sway bar on at the existing hole and drill the second hole. I'm pretty sure I have aero mount plates for an aero sway bar though so maybe that was the reason I didn't get the other box sway bar hole in my control arms.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

My 86 was bolt-on.

Can anyone here refer me to someone who knows about wheel sizes that will fit the marquis box cars
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacoma

Hey guys so i found someone with a rear bar thats willing to sell me.its bolted to the control arm but looks pretty skinny. What do you guys think? Sorry j couldnt make the pic bigger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20190117-201845_Kijiji.jpg  
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacoma

Sure looks like the type that works on ours. Any sway bar on the back will help over none at all.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (323K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

True
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacoma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast