AOD Trans Mount Bolt Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Trans Mount Bolt Size

Does anybody know the size of the bolts that connect the trans mount to the transmission case (bottom)? Mine must have heavy-duty thread-locker on them because I can't get them off with any tool that I have............without snapping them.

Thank You

Another related question (sorry); how important is that brace that bolts to the rear engine mount to the AOD bellhousing? I went to install the brace yesterday and stripped the threads on the AOD side of that brace. I will fix that at a later time; I just want to get this thing together and running before it gets cold. Just want to make sure it's not structurally vital.

Comment

That brace was not there on '90+ so I assume you would be fine without it. I did actually add that brace (from my '89) on one of my '91s but it required modifying the '90+ shift cable bracket (the little bracket that holds the cable away from the exhaust).

Someone might have the bolt size, otherwise I can check the service manual when I get home to see if it's in there.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-28-2019, 07:16 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Put heat on them. I've never had one be that difficult to remove honestly.

This says M12-1.75, 25-35mm long

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...unt-bolts.html
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Removing the bolts was easy; it was putting them back in that became a problem. I used a short handle box wrench and still managed to strip the threads. Since that brae is not absolutely vital, I will repair the threads in the Spring and focus on other things. THanks Gadget and VicCrownVic

Comment

Impact gun makes quick work of those bolts. Just be sure to start them by hand.

Comment

if you stripped it going back in, you did something wrong. More of a problem, you may have wrecked the transmission since the aluminum will give before the steel bolt will. best get yourself a tap to try and fix that, and don't cross thread it or you're definitely fucked.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X