GT40 heads on stock ECU and injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT40 heads on stock ECU and injectors?

So there's a couple sets of GT40(Not GTP) heads at the junkyard and was wondering if the would work with the weak 14lb/he injectors and ECU. I have modded speed density systems for mustangs and Mark VII before but was unsure with this system if it would run out if fuel even with the fuel pressure turned up. Already have explorer intake, lightning throttle body/EGR spacer, advanced timing, and stock mustang headers. Any and all helpful input is very appreciated.

It probably won't like it. If you're taking it down far enough to swap the heads, you may as well swap the cam with it. Explorer cam and the Mark VII ECM might stand a better chance of not sucking but I expect it still will be lean. I had ported E7 heads with the rest of that combo and my car pinged like crazy. Ran it on the dyno and it was somewhere around 18:1 AFR. I gave up on the speed density, converted it to mass air and then once I got tired of the truck cam that had no rpm capacity it got tuned when the cam got upgraded. Added fuel and the fuel mileage went up. Never managed more than about 16 mpg with the Mark VII brain, it will do 18 now.
    Last edited by gadget73; 09-14-2018, 04:48 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had good experiences with heads/intake on a Lincoln Mark VII but I wasn't sure if this would be the same. I assumed it might since they were both bored density but lacking the cam and tiny inuectors. Were you on premium or just 87? I might as well just wait and get the Mark VII ECU as it's the only part in lacking for a full HO swap minus the heads. Figured it would be cool grinding the 3 bars off and making people think it's a stock LoPo haha. I really appreciate the feedback back.

Comment

tried on both, it was lean so no amount of octane was going to fix it. It wanted more fuel, it was less concerned about what sort it was.

Honestly that experience is why my Mark VII is still stock. I don't feel like dealing with converting it to mass air and losing the cruise control. I've had a set of P heads sitting on my shelf for a number of years now. I even had them rebuilt. Last time I touched them was to steal the rocker arms when I realized the set on my Towncar were worn out.
        Last edited by gadget73; 09-14-2018, 07:48 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's really odd, I had a burgundy 92 LSC with GT40 and explorer intake(I said that already, I'm like a broken record) and that thing ran like a raped ape with no tuning at all. Only the old 5.0 tune up and some vp110 on top of the heads/intake(miss that car dearly.) So even with some more fuel pressure it just won't get enough though the tiny 14# injectors and/or the ECU doesn't like the extra fuel and cuts back injectors duty cycle I'm guessing?? I'm kinda half tempted to try it (since people said explorer intakes are no good on these engines but mine sure likes it) but with no AFR guage I don't wanna burn up some pistons on my ramen noodle budget build but would really like to eat some cars with the all torque, no lumpy idle LoPo cam just for sh*ts and giggles.

Comment

i have ran gt 40 heads on rebuilt 302 bored 30 over.i did not have any fuel issues at all.the only bad part was the gas milage went out the window.had stock lopo camshaft.it sounded great also.i got curous put the e6 heads back on to see fuel milage difference.and what a difference it was.it also made the whole nice rumbley sound it had go dead quite.i ended up leaving the e6 heads on still have the gt 40,s.going to run them on my 2door project.i also had sent my injectors out to get cleaned and flow tested i doubt that made any difference in fuel supply as they were still the stock 14 injectors just cleaned to new specs.

Comment

Working...
            X