Aux input for your 4 button stock stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux input for your 4 button stock stereo

I got the aux input tested and working last night. Here's a quick overview of the process. Really its not too hard, the only trick is getting wire in and out of the stereo. The cables I used are small enough that I was able to run them through the speaker wire clamp. Larger wiring might need another path.

https://youtu.be/2-FUvPBoDts
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Wooooo! That's so much easier than I was anticipating lol.

Strictly out of curiosity, does the tape deck 'intervene' before or after that connector?
    That is, if you have something connected to aux and put a cassette in, will the cassette still cut in?

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Thats pretty sick Gadget....keeping OE look while upgrading... I have zero skill at modifying anything electrical.....nice video for the virgins out here.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Tape is upstream of the connector, so plugging a tape in while the aux is connected does nothing.

I have noticed a slight bit of signal bleed from the tuner, so I may need to move the wiring or run the shielding all the way up to the connections. Workaround in the short term is to just stuff a tape adapter in there to silence it. Radio bleed is pretty minimal, but between tracks i can hear it slightly.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is a nice straight forward mod. Gotta like that.

Alex.

Comment

Where are you planning to mount the jack? I'm very excited to see that this was a relatively simple fix/mod.

Comment

I put it in the glovebox.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Were you able to fix the signal bleed issue by shielding the wires? At first I did the mod exactly as you, but signal was bleeding quite noticeably when no music was playing from AUX input.

I ended up using external switch to route signal between radio and AUX, instead of 5-pin jack with integrated switch. At the back side of circuit board there is a 2-pin green/red connector that goes to tape deck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191123_161641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1286237

Disconnecting the red wire fools the unit to think that a tape is inserted, but it does not engage motor for turning the tape. So I routed wires from this connector to the external switch that controls the input. Switching it to AUX breaks the connection (unit then stops sending radio signal and display is in tape mode showing a little triangle), switching it to Radio connects it again (unit returns to normal radio operation and display shows frequency). No more signal bleed, and tape deck works too in radio mode (when a cassette is inserted)!

Here's a photo of my final setup. The other switch is for a frequency shifter, so I can listen to even-numbered frequencies, being in Europe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191123_161610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1286238

Comment

Never managed to get it completely silent, but I get the same amount of signal bleed with the volume turned all the way down so I think its just something internal to the radio. Possibly a wire not routed quite correctly or contamination on the board. I got it a little better by moving some wires around but its not perfect.

so basically you are using manual control of the muting? That works. I considered re-purposing the AMS button on the front of mine to do that. AMS is Auto Music Search for the cassette, and I don't own any tapes so I really don't care about that feature.

Comment

Yes, muting is manual, but does not have separate control, it is tied to the desired "mode". I used a 3-pole switch (2 poles for L/R audio signal, third one for the red wire that disables the radio signal). The switch has also 3 positions. First one (AUX) connects audio jack with amp input. In the middle position (Mute) everything is disconnected. Third one (Radio) connects radio output with amp input and it is also the only position, where that red wire is connected.

Comment

Working...
                    X