Brake squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake squeal

The last week has seen tremendous rains here in the NYC area.
    Yesterday I noticed that the front brakes on my '86 MGM made a squealing noise upon the first brake applications.
    Later the sound went away with use.
    Came back about 6 hours later and the same squealing noise.
    Is this a symptom of dampness, or is this an indication that I need new pads?

Thanks for the education.

probably some flash rust on the rotors but worth checking the pad condition if its been a while.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I forgot to mention that the brakes "grab" upon first application, then as the brakes are used they stop grabbing. Do pads start making noise when the lining needs to be replaced.
      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      probably some flash rust on the rotors but worth checking the pad condition if its been a while.

Comment

the grab is rust

yeah pads get squeaky when they need to be replaced. Or when things get dirty, or for assorted other reasons. Either way if its a new noise, it should be checked out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Many thanks!!!

Comment

Also, when were your pads last replaced? If you put Thermoquiets on you could have gotten a lot made before their so called "improvements" like I did for my truck. They make noise sometimes despite everything being brand new and wearing correctly. I've got about 5 or 6k miles on the pads and that's when I noticed the noise when stopping below 4mph or so. Mostly in the morning, that first intersection..
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Stupidly I forgot to make note of the date the pads were replaced and the mileage.
              I do remember that I wiped out the rotors years ago because I did not pay attention to the pads squealing and drove the rivets into the rotors:-(

Comment

I know many will say I could have purchased better, but yesterday I received an NOS(E2AZ-2001-E) sealed box of FoMoCo front pads. I feel if the same parts the car came with are still available, then I'll purchase those original parts. As soon as I check on the drum size, I'll call Green back and order NOS FoMoCo rear shoes for the car. I appreciate everyone's input!!
                Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                Stupidly I forgot to make note of the date the pads were replaced and the mileage.
                I do remember that I wiped out the rotors years ago because I did not pay attention to the pads squealing and drove the rivets into the rotors:-(

Comment

Working...
                X