Brake Drum size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Drum size

On my '86 MGM......can I determine the size of the brake drums without pulling the wheels?
    Attempted to order rear lining and was asked if I had a 10 or 11 inch drum.

Thanks for the help!

She's a 10. Probably not literally but in inches.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

What he said. My understanding is unless the car has been changed, it will have 10 inch drums. 11 inch drums were only on the police package cars and wagons.

I assume the outside diameter of the drums would be different, but don't know what the outside diameter of the 10 inch drums would be. If the outside diameter is around 11 the inside diameter must be smaller.

I thought someone (kishy?) did a comparison of 10 inch drum vs 11 inch, but could be wrong.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

87 Wagon

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_095421.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1284641

Name:	20180920_095426.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1284642

Name:	20180920_095435.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1284643

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Tow package cars have 11" drums too. Assume nothing, otherwise whatever you order is going to be the wrong size. Its probably a 10" but for want of a few minutes with a tape measure I wouldn't chance it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The measurement is from the inside of the drum though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks like I will indeed have to pull the wheel off. When I called Green Sales I was told some standard MGMs came with 11inch drums, and some came with 10inch. No way to know unless the wheel is taken off.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                The measurement is from the inside of the drum though.
                true but the drum adds about 1" overall to the measurement. if it measures 11", it wants 10" shoes. If it measures 12", it wants 11" shoes.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Never even thought of that!....thanks!
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  true but the drum adds about 1" overall to the measurement. if it measures 11", it wants 10" shoes. If it measures 12", it wants 11" shoes.

Comment

If your car doesn't have the K code axle or the factory hitch & transmission cooler she ain't a tow PKG. Slap a set of 10's on 'er.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      The pics I posted show 12" outer measurement on wagon.
                      Last edited by mitymerc; 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

here is the production report...I do not see any "K" in the VINClick image for larger version

Name:	11-14-2014 12;51;46 PM  Ford Build Sheet.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1284644

Comment

Wow. I didn't know you had a 2-Door Wagon!

10" drums unless someone changed them. You should be able to get the size by looking through the wheels unless you have steel wheels.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I would love to have a 2 door wagon.
                            Maybe an old Sedan Delivery?
                            Hmm, make a Nomad style Grand Marq?
                            I had a Pinto 2 door wagon way back in antiquity.

Comment

LOL....I did laugh at the typo of a 2 door wagon!! The car has turbine mags.
                              Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              Wow. I didn't know you had a 2-Door Wagon!

10" drums unless someone changed them. You should be able to get the size by looking through the wheels unless you have steel wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X