Ect sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ect sensor

I have a new ect sensor since my old manifold didnt have one and the new one also doesnt. The one I have is too small but I have some sort of insert that came with my carb’d intake. If I screw that insert into the intake the ect sensor will screw into that but the unthreaded part of the sensor hits the bottom of the insert. Do I have the wrong sensor?

You are doing the back to stock EFI swap, right?

You might have the right sensor in the wrong spot.

The ECT screws into an adaptor near the thermostat housing that screws into the intake manifold, which is also where the heater hose goes. The ECT sensor doesn’t actually go into the manifold. It should cross with a Motorcraft DY681.

Part stores often confuse with the engine temperature sender, or switch in our case. The regular temp switch for the factory oh crap light is on the left side front near the alternator support. I don’t have a PN handy to cross, but it’s a one wire deal. I have an aftermarket gauge but you can at least tell where it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tiggie; 09-20-2018, 09:45 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yep going back to efi. The po pieced together the carb stuff and honestly I just want a reliable cruiser.

Ok I see what youre saying, I dont have that piece and that would explain why I dont have another spot for a heater hose. Ill need to get that housing. I have the sender and its wired up.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I didnt realize that the elbow is part of a larger assembly. It looks like the one the 5.0 mustangs use will work so maybe Ill try one of those. I kept on reading that part was obsolete but its not so Im a little confused. But to be clear that elbow that the ect screws into is part of a larger metal hose, well 2 hoses, that run from the front of the intake to the firewall where is connects to the heater core via rubber heater hoses right?

Also can someone measure their cooling fan? I read its a couple inches smaller. I see I can get a fan and clutch for a mustang no problem but I cant find too many fans for the panthers. And the mustang fan has more blades. Right now I have an electric fan thats not hooked up but I dont really want to use it because its small and I dont want to chance it going out on me.

Comment

The Mustang fitting is a relatively large assembly involving a pipe that runs under the upper intake all the way to the back. The 1986 Panther one is similar, but not quite the same. Basically all other Panther ones look like a hose nipple with a threaded hole in the side. Pipe thread into the intake, hole for the sensor, barb on top for the rubber heater line. Whole thing is maybe 3" long max. Trucks might use the same one, don't honestly know. I'd bet that part or one that can be adapted is used on some other vehicle though. Worst case, some brass pipe fittings can be assembled to get you what you need even if it doesn't look as pretty.

Mustang fan is also reverse rotation so that won't work anyway.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I figured as much with the coolant fitting. I see a few companies make them for carb’d mustangs but they dont have the provision for the ect sensor. Im considering trying to use the one for a mustang as it looks like itll fit. I have a local boneyard but its far and prices are lousy, not to mention he only has a few boxes.

I completely forgot about the fan issue, I knew I was forgetting something last night lol. That said Ill get a new clutch and fan. Im just not convinced my e fan will pull enough air to cool it enough at idle especially while running the ac. And it doesnt have a radiator shroud. Is there anywhere on the alternator I can wire the fan to so it only runs when the car is running and has direct power? I dont want to piggyback off anything and the way the po had is setup with it run straight to the battery with a switch was horrendous.

Comment

The Ford Contour fans are apparently a good fit. I gave up on electric fans after having one fail and overheat the car. Been rocking a stock clutch fan ever since. It did not affect my fuel mileage either, but it did stop making the lights flicker. If you don't have a 130 amp alternator, don't even think about it. the stock 65a is underpowered to begin with, add another 20-30 amps for a fan and it has no hope.

Need a temperature controller, a relay, and a diode to tie it into the AC if you're going that route. I'm sure somewhere there is a diagram for how to do it. Its not real complicated though.

For some reason I want to say the Mustang pipes don't fit correctly, but I've never personally tried it.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For those reasons exactly I dont want to run the e fan. I think Im going to test the voltage drop with it on. It should be fine for nowsince thats how it was for a while with no adverse affects. But I have planned on converting back to the stock setup. If it was good enough to use when the car was being built its good enough to use today, Im not going to try to reinvent the wheel over this. The fan in there now is pretty small too.

A lot of the fox body guys run contour fans so Im sure its fine but Im just not convinced its reliable enough for a daily driver.

Id believe it if the coolant pipes dont fit. Ford seems to do that from model to model, just look at the mustang and panther fuel rails or even the different alternator brackets Ford used on both vehicles with the 4.6. It makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

The mustang heater pipes may just fit. They have a coolant port that goes to the egr spacer that MAY just be in the way of things. The one on the 86 panthers are direct fit though because that coolant port is in the proper location.

I have a mustang one but I removed and welded up the port.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Latemodel restoration sells heater pipes for the mustang without the nipple for the egr spacer too but I think Id try the one with the nipple. Like I said its tough getting parts and I dont mind being a giunea pig lol.

Can you confirm the hose for the pcv and large line on the vacuum tree are 3/8? I cant find any info about their size but I know its not 1/4 and its a little larger than 5/16.

Comment

Oh and what does that connector on the cowl next to the wiper motor go to? Mine isnt plugged into anything.

Comment

single wire connector ? I think thats the fuel flow wire for the tripminder.

not sure what the size is, but a set of calipers will tell you. Might be 11/32 or 3/8.

Comment

Im thinking its 3/8 thanks.

No its a 5 pin connector just to the left of the wiper motor. Im on my phone and it doesnt look like I can post pics from the mobile site.

Comment

I installed one from LMR and it leaked immediately. I ended up just re-oringing one I had previously.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Whats that the coolant tubes? Damn dont say that lol.

Also I got everything else for the most part buttoned up and got it started for the first time in a couple months. Its loud as hell lol but ran like a champ.

Also where is the harness for the iac? Its not on the same harness as the injectors unless Im missing it.
                              Last edited by 87GrandMarq; 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X