"Jumping" power window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Jumping" power window

Last winter I replaced the front driver's power window motor in my 86 Crown Vic with a NOS unit. Job went well and all seemed to be working fine.

However, recently the window started "jumping" a bit at the extreme top and bottom of the cycle (window 95% up or down). Then, last time I drove the car, it started doing it in the middle of the cycle as well.

I'm wondering if the plastic ball bearings in the gear case are disintegrating with age (as it is a NOS unit, not aftermarket). I really don't want to replace the motor again of I don't have to, but any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.
    sigpic

plastic pills disintegrating is a pretty good bet. You can rebuild those things without much fuss. The plastic bits are available, or some people replace them with metal ball bearings or nuts.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Finally got around to checking it out today, and that’s what the issue was. Used the nut trick to repair the gear system, and now it works like new again.

However, just went for a spin, and now the back one is doing it. Something always needs something, nothing ever needs nothing. Tis life with old cars.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X