Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again CFI to Carb, but only details

Hi All,

I'm newbie here, but not a virgin LOL, I finelly go to the carburetor on my 1982 Lincoln Town Car.

Carburetor what I have is Motorcraft 2150 for 1979 302 Mustang w/auto trans (rebuilded by Autoline #C8103A).

Now is time for Questions.

1. What type of fuel pump I need?? Someone prefers mechanical, someone electrical, I'm not sure what I want, what is simplier to do?? (mechanical / low pressure electrical in tank / low pressure electrical in line - edelbrock micro pump)

2. I'm not familiar with ignition systems, can I keep in Duraspark ignition??? (if not, my next choice is HEI style distributor)

3. Not sure how to connect TV rod with carburetor and how to adjust it.

That's all for today, thank for your advices and opinions.

1. If yours has 2 pumps (one in tank and one in-line), the in-tank pump is a low pressure, high volume pump. If only one, it's a high pressure pump. There's always the option of using a low pressure fuel pressure regulator and just returning all the excess fuel to the tank. This may be the easiest option as there's no need to drop the tank or add the eccentric to drive a mechanical pump.

2. Yes, you can keep the Duraspark. I think there's a modification needed (tying two wires together or something). Someone on here has done that and should know if and what needs to be done.

3. The lever on the mustang carb should work. May have to rotate it 180 degrees. Again, someone else has done this and should have more info on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Gotta ask - what’s the trouble with the CFI?

On the carb, i’d Trade the one you have for a correct AOD application. Try a 1983 F150 with 302 and AOD, like Autoline C8190A ( https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/au...arburetor,5904 ).

I’m a mechanical fuel pump kind of person but if your car already has the low pressure pump in the tank, then use it as sly outlined.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

This is an EEC-III car. The factory Duraspark is not the right one for this. The distributor has no advance mechanism, and it will not perform well. You want a Duraspark distributor from a carb vehicle. The crank sensor will go away, and the Duraspark will drive off the pickup in the distributor.

and yeah, not the right carb. Need one for an AOD vehicle for the stuff to connect properly.

If this has two pumps, the one in the tank should be fairly low pressure but you will need to confirm the pressure is not excessive first. The high pressure pump will need to be bypassed. Honestly I'd put a mechanical pump on it and be done with it.

or in reality I'd put multiport injection on it and truly be done with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So, firstly, I'm from Czech Republic in Europe, that's why every part is very hard to find, order and costs three times more.

1. Car is equipped with one high pressure fuel pump in tank, therefore I will use mechanical pump, last question is what type ??? (due to power steering pump clearance and correct fuel pressure) Another question is what fuel filter??? Can I use spin-on filter under the car??? Or delete/bypass it???

2. If stock distributor is improper, can I put in HEI distributor from summit??? ( https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...view/make/ford )

3. The carb is not mine, but I can buy him for only 150 bucks (new, never used and here from local guy), thus I rather made some lever or adapter for TV rod. Only need to know some dimensions etc.

That's probably all, I hope.

Comment

didn't realize the location. Understand why things are more difficult for you.

Should be able to use a pump for a 1982 Crown Vic. You will need to make sure your timing cover is the correct one to accept a pump, and that you have the eccentric on the front of the cam to drive it. If you don't have both of those, a low pressure electric pump is probably a better idea. You may need a pressure regulator to make sure it doesn't over-power the carb though. Since you have a return line, you can use a return style regulator if you like.

An HEI will work.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 2150 carb has a fuel filter that screws into it. Order a fuel filter for your carb application and that should be exactly what you need. Without it you will have a hard time getting a fuel line on there.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks for exhaustive answers, now I can install carb, fuel system and distributor, after that starts fun with TV linkage.

Comment

Working...
                X