TFI Module '86 MGM 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFI Module '86 MGM 5.0

Just thinking I should carry a spare TFI module.
    Anyone know the FoMoCo part number so I can order one?
    May I assume the Ford part is better than the after market?

Thanks for the info

E6SF-12A297-A2A = DY504 in Motorcraft, which is an obsolete part number, but it translates to the DY1076 or DY1284.

Old stock DY504 is good stuff.

Someone on here ordered a newer Motorcraft one and got a regular generic part in an expensive Motorcraft box. I’ve been running a Wells on my 88 since I got it and it’s caused no problems.

I’ve been know to carry an extra distributor instead of the TFI only.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Wild. I've honestly never had a bad TFI on any of my fords. Having said that, guess that'll be next! Fortunately, i have 3 spare distributors...

Comment

I lost exactly one. It was an aftermarket Accel and it was the day after the engine seriously overheated. I thought I had one go bad once, but it was the pickup falling apart internally. I still have that module with some 240k miles on it as a spare. It was working fine when removed. Both cars are currently running no-frills replacements from Napa and it seems to be doing OK.

distributor is possibly easier to change on the side of the road honestly. Done it when the pickup fell apart on me. The module usually needs the distributor rotated to get the tool in anyway.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          Someone on here ordered a newer Motorcraft one and got a regular generic part in an expensive Motorcraft box.
          Without meaning to be 'that guy', this is because the Motorcraft part is, and always has been (if you look at the factory parts up close you'll come to the same conclusion) one of the "regular generic parts" just with the Motorcraft emblem and part number added to it in a blank space which exists on one particular brand's part.

I'm not saying there aren't quality variances out there, because there are, but every TFI module swap I've done in 5-going-on-6 years with these cars (where I said to myself "it's gotta be that $9 TFI module!) has been a misdiagnosis and the real issue was elsewhere. I think installation detail is a much bigger contributor to premature failure of the cheap parts than the cheap parts' construction.

By which I mean: use a thin layer of CPU thermal compound during the install and tighten it down effectively. Do not use an insulating grease.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I had one go bad... when the ECM fried. I think the ECM took out the TFI. The other 2 that had issues were PIP death via worn out and sloppy dizzy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

my PIP failed when the glue holding the magnet in finally let go. Distributor is actually still fine. Its still in the car, I rebuilt it. Very little slop or wear on the shaft.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... the slop in the dizzy in the Mark VI was enough to grind off the face of the pip. The one in the F150 was so bad that it just BROKE the PIP IIRC. Either way, those are the 2 that got new distributors, but kept the TFI with fresh thermal grease. No clue why it was so bad in the Mark, but the F150 was so beat up already and had over 280K miles IIRC. So much stuff on that truck was beat to hell, I wasn't surprised with anything dying on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

missing oil changes probably gets sludge into the teeny port that allows oil to wick up to the upper bushing and it goes downhill pretty fast from there. Overheat it and it will cook the oil out of the bushing too, and that also makes it wear quick.

Comment

That makes sense. Probably all before I got them. I know I had several cooling issues with the Mark when I first got it. The truck was so beat up, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially since I got it from my dad. He's rough on vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                    X