Brakes.......sometimes it pays to look in the box:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes.......sometimes it pays to look in the box:-(

So today I had time so I set out to put a set of NOS FoMoCo brake pads on my '86 MGM.
    I assumed all to be ok, and I never actually looked into the sealed box of pads...........instead removing the inner and outer wheel bearings to clean and repack.

After doing that I opened the box, and my heart sank, then I was pissed!!...........two of the four pads were missing the clips to hold the pads to the cyl pistons!!!

What to do now???? Had to forget the great idea of putting on Ford pads, and instead had to p/u a set from Bendix.
    From now on I shall looking in the boxes of car parts to make sure all is as it should be.

I usually check boxes before handing them to a customer. Things happen, rough handling, careless returns, etc.

I’ve had dented oil filters, brake pads missing hardware, core returns processed as new stock, but it’s best it’s stopped at the counter. That said, obviously when shopping online, that luxury isn’t there and the chance of something being wrong is always possible, but usually most online retailers will fix issues like that.

Odd that the clips weren’t moulded/riveted to the backing plate. Of the pads in the style we use, I don’t think I’ve seen them as a separate component from the pad itself.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Turns out Ford does not provide clips on the two smaller pads, there are separate part numbers for the required clips.....seems ass-stupid to me???

Comment

yep, the clips were either to be re-used or ordered separately back then. There is actually a reason for it. The front calipers could have phenolic or steel pistons. They require different clips. The pads themselves are the same though.

In the modern world, you get pads for steel or pads for phenolic. Still the same pad but the clip riveted on there is different.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain if that is true, why are the Bendix after market pads not concerned with what kind of pistons the car has?
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          yep, the clips were either to be re-used or ordered separately back then. There is actually a reason for it. The front calipers could have phenolic or steel pistons. They require different clips. The pads themselves are the same though.

In the modern world, you get pads for steel or pads for phenolic. Still the same pad but the clip riveted on there is different.

Comment

So it seems based on what I’ve seen, police/taxi models got the steel pistons and civilian models got the phenolic pistons. Those result in different piston sizes. Since Marquis hasn’t had a police package since ‘82, part systems may just assume the vehicle has the phenolic piston. I know if you look up LTD models it’ll come up with both styles.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

it was a police / non-police thing, dunno. Maybe it doesn't show up in listings for the Mercury. I don't get that question on my Mark VII either, and it uses the same calipers and pads boxes do.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It (used to show) for the MGM. But like a lot of things, the footnotes (piston material type) got dropped somewhere in time. Just like the window motor month of manufacture call-out for 1989 models is no longer there. The heater blower resistor spec'd assumes all mgms had auto temp control. Probably more things I remember seeing in the early days, that is now missing from online catalogs.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                  It (used to show) for the MGM. But like a lot of things, the footnotes (piston material type) got dropped somewhere in time. Just like the window motor month of manufacture call-out for 1989 models is no longer there. The heater blower resistor spec'd assumes all mgms had auto temp control. Probably more things I remember seeing in the early days, that is now missing from online catalogs.

Alex.
                  This is why I stash old parts catalogs. Had to help a friend with a 64 Fairlane find an idler arm last month. Mid year change.

I’m betting most of the brake pad manufacturers will drop the steel piston part at some point and default to only phenolic. I bet for every 500 phenolic sets sold, one steel gets sold correctly. Not many police boxes running around these days.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                  X