Fuel Level Sensor Circuit ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Level Sensor Circuit ???

I have a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis with 71,000 miles. The car misses sometimes while driving. I just pulled the code which was P0460.That was the only code that came up. According to my shop manuals for that code it states that its a Fuel Level Sensor.

Wouldn't that have to do with my fuel gauge ? My gas gauge is fine. If not what is a Fuel level Sensor and where does it live ?

I've checked NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Oreillys and nobody carries what ever this is. I was thinking since the car only misses sometimes it might be the oxygen sensor. I put new plugs and wires in about 13 months ago and have only put on 4100 miles in that amount of time.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

The misfire could be related to a fuel pump intermittent issue as well as the code. Check the connector on the fuel pump hanger on the tank and make sure it's seated properly. May need to take it off, clean it good (remove any corrosion), and give the female connectors a little pinch (don't close them) for better contact.

As far as the code is concerned... This is the info I can find about that.

P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    The PCM monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.
    Causes:
    Empty fuel tank
    Fuel pump (FP) module stuck open
    Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
    Damaged instrument cluster
    CASE GND circuit open
    FLI shorted to VPWR
    Damaged PCM
    Overfilled fuel tank
    Fuel pump (FP) module stuck closed
    Damaged fuel gauge
    FLI circuit open
    FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
    CSE GND shorted to VPWR
    Monitor FLI PID and FLI V PID in key ON engine RUNNING. FLI PID at 25% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID less than 0.90 volts [for FLI PID at 75% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID greater than 2.45 volts] indicates a hard fault.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Sly for all the great information. I hope to start working on it this weekend and will let you know what I find. I never let the car get lower than 3/4 of a tank of gas. I put only 89 Octane Shell in the tank. Couple times of year I put a fuel injector cleaner in the gas.I cleared the code and put about 30 miles on it and so far the check engine light has not come back on but its still missing. It seems to be worse the hotter the outside temperature. The car has always ran cool as far as temperature in radiator.

Thanks again

Comment

If the car has over 100K miles, it may be carbon buildup behind the throttle valve. May need to take a rag and give it a squirt with carb/throttle body cleaner and give the valve a wipe behind the valve. Also, check the air filter box to make sure you haven't sucked up some plastic from the road or other trash that may be clogging the works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X