Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle incredibly low

Ok,

So, my car initially would turn over and run for a few seconds than shut off. I would start the car and it would somewhat run if I held the gas down. I took off the IAC, cleaned the contacts and cleaned inside the valve body. Tried to start the car and .....nothing.....

So then I unplugged the MAF sensor and the car actually ran. I took apart the MAF sensor and the contacts and when I was putting it back in I notice where the air travels in the air intake for the MAF sensor I noticed there looked to be an obstruction in there (cobweb of some sort).

After cleaning it out an putting it all together, the car actually started right up!!!!! Only thing is the idle was incredibly low (especially on cold start)

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I figured you guys need to know the whole story.

Any idea what the heck is going on??????
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

If unplugging the IAC has no change... there's your problem. If it dies... you may have to verify the idle setting and make sure the throttle stop screw hasn't worked it's way out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dang and I thought that by cleaning the IAC it would've helped. Also, I will check the throttle stop screw, although didn't they use loctite for the threads???? I know I didn't mess with it AT ALL!

Either or I will check

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Don't move the throttle stop screw until you check the timing and clean the TB and verify the IAC hasn't failed. I had one IAC fail after cleaning the valve.

You can open the throttle and see if the stop screw is finger loose though. If it is, that should be the issue. It should require a screwdriver to turn with any kind of ease.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

yes, so when I unplugged the IAC, the idle didn't change. The throttle screw is tight and didn't move at all. Maybe I am wrong, but I think my IAC shared the same fate of failing for good once I cleaned it!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Sounds like it.

Comment

Random question, with the idle being incredibly low, would it have anything to do with the heater?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I don't see how. Totally different fuse.

Comment

LONG AND BEHOLD, it was the IAC, next time motorcraft all the way

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X