I admit to being anal retentive..............:-( wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit to being anal retentive..............:-( wheel bearings

So as you all know I cleaned and re-packed the front bearings.......question.........and I admit a stupid one........if I did not put enough grease in the bearings will there be a audible warning, or some burning smell coming from the front wheels telling me that the bearings are too dry? Jeeze would hate to be driving on the Long Island Expressway and have a wheel come off, or seize up:-(

Try not to laugh too much at this question

Umm, when I bought my '85 LTD the guy had a sketch part to the ad which read "I replaced one rotor, other new one is in car." From that moment I suspected the work he did on the bearings but it wasn't until Ash and I were coming back from TAS cruising down 94 when I noticed what felt like the right caliper clamping down occasionally, pulling the car to the right as it did so. I could feel a vibration in the wheel and it was at that point that I reaffirmed my disdain for those who know just enough about stuff to fuck it up... I got off at the nearest exit and the wheel sized up about a mile after that. So it comes up rather unexpectedly, I certainly didn't notice anything before that day.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you think you didn't put enough... just pull the dust cap and use a needle to spooge some grease past the outer bearing. 3-5 pumps should be plenty. I always load enough grease in wheel hubs to always have some grease on the bearings even if it pools in the bottom. I never fill up the hub though. That's a recipe for disaster as well. I definitely over-grease my stuff though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly I smiled reading that you over grease.....on my Avanti and all "modern" Studebaker vehicles, are over 30 zerks and for over 50 years I have been accused of over lubing! Shops just don't understand that on a Stude front end are two kingpins, and those pins are supported by needle bearings that have to be greased to excess......because of upper and lower grease points....and most only grease the top and the middle gets starved for lube. Another thing I never understood is that all of these vehicles have either a Dana 44 or 27 rear end....and the rear bearings are NOT lubed via the differential lube....meaning the axles have to be pulled and the bearings removed to be cleaned and re-packed....the process is too long to go into, but a dial indicator must be utilized when putting the bearings back on the shaft....
        Originally posted by sly View Post
        If you think you didn't put enough... just pull the dust cap and use a needle to spooge some grease past the outer bearing. 3-5 pumps should be plenty. I always load enough grease in wheel hubs to always have some grease on the bearings even if it pools in the bottom. I never fill up the hub though. That's a recipe for disaster as well. I definitely over-grease my stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          ...I never fill up the hub though. That's a recipe for disaster as well...
          I hate to be "that guy" but I've done this (and was taught to do it by a guy who started off by saying "..I don't care what they say, I've done every single car this way and never once lost a bearing or had a problem.") and have never had a problem either. I don't feel right NOT loading the whole hub up. Going to research why one shouldn't do that...

Comment

mostly its just a waste. Once the bearing is packed, that should be all the grease it needs. I do tend to put a little extra in the space between the bearing and the seal, and on the other side between the washer and the bearing but the hub itself just ends up with whatever grease was laying in the middle of the bearing bore and got pushed out by the spindle.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              I hate to be "that guy" but I've done this (and was taught to do it by a guy who started off by saying "..I don't care what they say, I've done every single car this way and never once lost a bearing or had a problem.") and have never had a problem either. I don't feel right NOT loading the whole hub up. Going to research why one shouldn't do that...
              It won't waste a bearing... it will loose the dust cap... and if not noticed, crap will get into the bearing and then it will get wasted.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ain't never lost one!

Wasted! Reminds me of playing GTA I or II, dying and then seeing WASTED! on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                X