steering needs more angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering needs more angle

hi i'm Justin and i bought a 1989 mercury grand marquis ls and want to know if anyone has ever reduced the turning radius of these cars and if so how?

Thanks Justin McNeely

Any reason you want to reduce the effective turning radius?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Any reason you want to reduce the effective turning radius?
      It seems that "reducing" the turning radius would be to make it smaller, so the car turns tighter. I can see reasons why one might want to, but with these cars it seems unnecessary.

The issue here is that the box Panther is already an incredibly agile car and can turn tighter than most vehicles I've ever been in, including many cars much smaller than them. The steering geometry plus the small wheel diameter in a large wheel well gives the car a very tight turning radius.

I don't think there is any more angle available without making stuff hit other stuff. You could try grinding down the steering stops below/behind the calipers so the spindles can turn further, but I don't know what is going to be the next stopping point (tire on control arm, tire on frame rail, etc)

Not to mention the correct geometry (turning each wheel the correct proportionate amount) probably goes out the window when the pitman arm is so far out to one side or the other, because it's going to pull the drag link out of its intended range of motion.
      Last edited by kishy; 10-05-2018, 04:29 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Are you sure you don’t mean reduce the steering ratio (less steering wheel turns lock to lock, quicker response)?

I am actually impressed with the turning radius of pre 03 Panthers (haven’t driven post 03). As compared to Fox Mustangs and straight axle trucks from the 50’s, the Panther is a vast improvement.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah, for the size of these things they do turn a pretty tight circle. I also don't really think there is a whole lot to be done to make it tighter either. I suppose if you cut the car at the B pillar and eliminated everything between the B and C that would tighten it up, but the car would look pretty stupid and thats a whole lot of hacking.

are you trying to solve a specific problem, or are you used to driving a much smaller car ? Parking gets very easy with these once you've had some practice. It can take some getting used to if you come from driving a little car though. The great thing about a box is that you can tell where the car ends pretty easily, so you won't hit stuff if you pay attention to it. Honestly I prefer that vs cars that have a significant amount of vehicle beyond where you can actually see from the driver's seat.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yeah, for the size of these things they do turn a pretty tight circle. I also don't really think there is a whole lot to be done to make it tighter either. I suppose if you cut the car at the B pillar and eliminated everything between the B and C that would tighten it up, but the car would look pretty stupid and thats a whole lot of hacking.
            Like the one that was for sale a couple of years ago.
            https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...6z_az3O0VN4XmM
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

yes, exactly. I actually wouldn't half mind a turn behind the wheel of that thing. I bet driving it is an absolute hoot.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X