Refurbed Seat Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbed Seat Switch

Driver Side Seat Switch ceased to function. The seat was locked in a position that could be utilized (Albeit somewhat uncomfortably) by my Wife and eldest Son, I however could not get into the car…

2 screws to remove the Switch.

Removed the contacts with a small amount of screwdriver persuasion. Used a marker to make dots where they made contact to ease reassembly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181010_101258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1304696

Removed cardboard insulator.

Removed the center section by depressing the clips with a pick and jiggling it out.

Used a small pick to pop the 4 clips from the switch body.

Name:	20181010_113606.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1304697

Lots of leetle pieces.

Name:	20181010_103450.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1304698

Name:	20181010_103547.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1304699

Name:	20181010_112614.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1304700

Used some contact cleaner and a clean rag to clean all the contacts

The “rocker” contacts were filthy & pitted, used some 220 grit on them (would have preferred something finer but that was all that was on hand). Finished them off with some contact cleaner.

Name:	20181010_105108.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1304701

Same process on the 4 pins in the main body.

Name:	20181010_112725.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1304702

Could not find my Conductive Grease so I reassembled it dry.

Carefully reassembled the unit, used hemos to reinstall the rockers.

Name:	20181010_113417.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1304703

It now works great.

(Of course I found the Conductive Grease right after I reinstalled it)….
    Last edited by mitymerc; 10-10-2018, 09:45 PM. Reason: Editing

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

ah, so thats how to get them completely apart. I've pulled the rubber cover and the paddles off before and just poked in there with a pick to scrape them clean enough to work. Next time I have one go flaky I'll pull it completely apart so maybe it will stay fixed. Every few years the one on the Towncar goes goofy. Or maybe it dies in 2 weeks and I only notice it every few years when I have to move the seat for some reason.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Aero ones are much easier to get apart... but about the same amount of little bits that like to disappear. Reassembly is definitely a balancing act.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Whale ones have small dumbell rollers, and contacts set in plastic. You can guess what happens to the plastic when the contacts get hot.

Alex.

Comment

Cool Jim...Hope I dont have to rip into one of these. lol
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for this thread. It gave me the confidence to open mine up. It works now. I used a feeler gauge and a razor blade to get the center section out of the housing. Also, beforehand, I cut away (using a razor) the rubber to release the two posts that held the connector to the switch.

Comment

Working...
            X