Rear stabilizer bar 21 mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear stabilizer bar 21 mm

In my MGM I have 15 mm rear bar and I would like to upgrade it to 21 mm, but I can't find it on ebay, etc. Is it possible to find it? It can be used ofc. I have possibility to buy 17 mm bar, but I'm afraid that difference between 15 and 17 mm bars will be imperceptible - am I right..? Or maybe the best solution will be buy Addco 650 25 mm ?
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Normally I'd say check the junkyard, but I doubt finding one with what you want in Poland is happening. The Addco would be your best bet unless one of us shipped one to you, but who knows how much shipping would cost.

IIRC, some HPP models came with the 21mm bars, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The HPP always came with the 21mm bar I believe. I would say Addco bar as well, but you could just wait for one to pop up from an HPP or Marauder instead. The Addco would require you to replace both to avoid being a little too happy to swing on one end or another on the car.
      2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
      1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
      RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
      RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
      Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

Here's a link for what got what:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...rtnumbers.html

It looks like all HPP had 21mm while police had 17mm. The following notes at the bottom of that page seem particularly pertinent:

"Police rear swaybars are 17mm. Police coil springs are very stiff.
        Civilian Handling Package rear swaybars are 21mm but they are coupled with the relatively low rate civilian rear air springs"

The 21mm bars seem to be easy to get at junk yards in North America for cheap. I got one from a local U-pull yard for ~$15CDN with taxes. The shipping to Poland would probably be the biggest cost. If you're sure a 21mm bar would be worth your while, you can post something in the "Looking to Buy" section. One of the folks who frequent the junk yards could probably hook you up in short order.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Thank You Guys ! Do we know which front bar had Marauder ?
          '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

It looks like the Marauder had a 28mm front bar:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspens...rtnumbers.html

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Which parts I also need to change with 21 mm bar ? Bushing for sure - what about link and bracket ?

Comment

Yup. Bar, bushings, brackets, and links are the complete setup for rear and front. If you get a used bar, you might as well make sure it comes with the brackets. Both the rear bar and rear brackets can get pretty rusty, so you should give consideration to removing rust and painting them up nice, even if the ones you get don't look bad. New bushings and links can be had for decent prices, so I wouldn't bother with used ones.

Comment

But brackets and links are different for 15 and 21 mm bar ? I understand that bushing are different, but the rest ?

Comment

I don't know the variations with absolute certainty, especially for 03+, so hopefully someone else can verify. AFAIK, the rear links are all the same regardless of bar size. The bushings are obviously size-dependent, though I would think the brackets are all the same. If you get the brackets with the bar, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X