Tripminder HIGH MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder HIGH MPG

Who needs a hybrid when box wagons get over 180mpg? It was over 200 at one point. And I’m sure there is no decimal place.

Something is up. It’s got some preignition pinging going on... nothing terrible but it didn’t do it before today.

Under extended load, the tripminder reads correctly and runs fine, but under light throttle, I can cruise in the 50mpgs at 25mph. That’s not normal for this car.

Haven’t driven enough to see if it really is using that little fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

My mom's '87 Country Squire had a tripminder. I seem to recall a running total calculated MPG and a instant MPG. I always liked to see what I could get the instant MPG up to, but don't recall what numbers I saw since that was about a 10-15 ago.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

This car has never read over 80-90 on the instant. My average is 26ish, which is again not normal for this car. 18 would be average.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I didn't think they read over 99? My dad's Mark VII would see numbers that high when coasting
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Open circuit between the fuel flow output on the ECM and the fuel flow input on the tripminder probably. When the tripminder isn't connected to the ECM it assumes almost no fuel burn so the MPG reads stupid high. I think its pin 34 on the ECM, goes to a blue/pink wire and eventually gets to the tripminder. 88 I think has it as a single pin round connector under the hood, hanging out near the wiper motor.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Readings were normal this afternoon.

I added the tripminder to this car and used scary vampire taps. That’s probably (hopefully) the problem. It came out of an 89 with that totally different wiring so I had to improvise.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

You found the eco mode button.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was secretly hoping for the eco mode...

The 2012 Escape we have gets absurd mileage in a good way but mainly when off the accelerator. The fuel must get cut out off almost completely. Feels like you put the brakes on.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  The 2012 Escape we have gets absurd mileage in a good way but mainly when off the accelerator. The fuel must get cut out off almost completely. Feels like you put the brakes on.
                  Yup, deceleration fuel cutoff. Locks the torque converter and shuts off the fuel injectors. My 2012 F-150 does it all the time when coasting. I think there may be a yaw sensor having an influence on that mode too, such that it only happens on a downhill grade.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                  RyPow
                  1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                  1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                  2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                  1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                  2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                  2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

DFSO was added in the mid 90s to the crown vic. It literally shuts off all fuel until throttle input or a certain speed is reached. The ECM in vicky is from a 94 towncar. And DSFO is quite noticeable. If you're going down a long hill. You can literally just ride down the hill, with the injectors off, watching the temperature gauge just drop haha. It's a nice thing. The parameters are there in the A9P strategy, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

Comment

I know stickshift vehicles do this already. My '89 K1500 will cut off fuel when coasting as does our '92 F150 and my '94 Ranger. I tested it by cycling the key to off when coasting and there was no change or 'burp' within the drivetrain. Burp felt when flipping back to run though. Guess automatics just lean the mixture out then?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                      X