Speedo etc......1986 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo etc......1986 MGM

Ok so I have finally had enough!....the fool(s) who designed the speed-o on my '86 coupe is impossible to see while driving...the steering wheel prevents one from seeing the exact speed one is going.....unless one cranks his neck down to see where the needle is:-(......can I swap in a speed-o from a 86 crown vic??? Now that is a speed-o that one can see completely!!

Pretty sure the cutout in the dash is not the same. It can be hacked in there but then the trim doesn't fit right.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ford and Merc dashes do have different placement, but modifications could be done. I can’t say the Mercury speedometer is incredibly nice stock. I found it to be rather dim with incandescent bulbs and black needles. I think the silver face with black numbers and needles make it harder to read than nessesary.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

LED lamps in warm white give stock coloring but more brightness. Might be worth considering if visibility at night is the biggest issue.

Don't disagree with silver and black being hard to read though. I've been in early Towncars with that setup and i do not like it. Looks pretty during the day though.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can live with the illumination.....its the steering wheel blocking the actual speed-o that is the issue:-(
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          LED lamps in warm white give stock coloring but more brightness. Might be worth considering if visibility at night is the biggest issue.

Don't disagree with silver and black being hard to read though. I've been in early Towncars with that setup and i do not like it. Looks pretty during the day though.

Comment

Can't say I've really noticed that but I haven't spent a whole lot of time driving a Grand Marq. Is it the side or the top of the wheel ?

Comment

The speedo is to the right so you get about 55-80 blocked by the wheel if you are using the center armrest. You have to lean on the door to actually see the speedo.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well slow down then mister speed demon. National speed limit is only 55 you know. Beyond that is the land of insanity.

Comment

It cuts directly over the top.....anything over 45MPH can not be seen:-(
                  Can't say I've really noticed that but I haven't spent a whole lot of time driving a Grand Marq. Is it the side or the top of the wheel ?

Comment

Sly I am 6/2 and the neck is F-ed up to begin with :-(
                    Originally posted by sly View Post
                    The speedo is to the right so you get about 55-80 blocked by the wheel if you are using the center armrest. You have to lean on the door to actually see the speedo.

Comment

LOL.......so tell me Thain, when you are on the GSP or the NJT......do you EVER exceed the double nickle?? A left over from the days of Richard Nixon;-(
                      Well slow down then mister speed demon. National speed limit is only 55 you know. Beyond that is the land of insanity.

Comment

Sly, is that the wort designed dash ever???
                        Originally posted by sly View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Sly I am 6/2 and the neck is F-ed up to begin with :-(
                          the later prevents positions that make up for the former.

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Sly, is that the wort designed dash ever???
                          No. I've seen worse. It is, however, up there on the list... but just for the gauge clusterf*ck. The rest of the dash is fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That mis-mash ugly dash is one of the reasons I do not like the Mercurys. Crown Vic or buy a '90-'91.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I drove my '89 MGM for a decade. The cluster never bothered me, although I can see how some might find it annoying.
                              The stock '91 MGM cluster in both cars had to go though. The stock lighting on those things is terrible. I'll agree that the stock '90-'91 (through '94 MGM) layout is better than the '89 MGM cluster layout though.
                              I like the '98-'02 CVPI cluster I have in The Ice Car ('92?-'05? CV layout). The '90-'91 CV police cluster in The Scab isn't bad after I modified it and put in red LEDs for lighting, but eventually I'll get around to installing my other '98-'02 cluster in that car too.

Edit: As for the OP's question about CV cluster in his '86 MGM, I'm not familiar with the physical modification needed on the older boxes although it looks like that has been covered.
                              For a newer style cluster take a look at Hearsesrock427's '89 MGM. Fair amount of physical modification done by Ivan for that swap though.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-23-2018, 12:25 PM.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X