1991 P72 5.8 in Payson, AZ - $1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 P72 5.8 in Payson, AZ - $1500

Might be worth a look to someone close by or someone with a trailer.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...701555721.html

From the ad:
    "White with tan cloth interior and black floor mats. Tag on side of dash reads: State of California Dept. of Parks & Recreation. Cold-starting, strong 351 Windsor V-8. Variable-venturi carb. Axle code 8: open 2.73 rear axle. Rust-free body. Tinted windows. Goodyear Integrity radials on 16" rims. New valve cover gaskets and plug wire set. New water pump; new radiator. New battery.

Odometer stuck at 99,933. Plenty of tread still on brake pedal. Overdrive out in transmission; previously 19 mpg highway (calculated using Mapquest and gas receipts). Fuel gauge does not work; low-fuel warning light is always on. Air bag light is always on. No A/C, most probably a shot compressor. Heat works well. Driver's window works well; right & left-rear come down but raise poorly; right-front doesn't work. Rusted H-pipe held to tailpipes by splints made of scrap exhaust pipe and clamps. Contact crack on dash. Vinyl NASCAR roof numbers can be removed.

$1500 firm or ad will be continually rerun."

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1304715 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1304716 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1304717 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1304718 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1304719 Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1304720
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

This was ordered piggyback with other Ca. State police cars, with the full police package. Good rust free restoration piece.
    What I am wanting is a CHP 91 CV with the Blue interior. Those were on a different order. Fully restored I can find easy. I real nice daily driver will do.

Comment

So in Cali in 1991 you got a Mass Air 5.0 or a Variable Venturi 5.8. Does the 351 smog as good as a mass air 5.0?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

In CA. 302 Fuel injected passes smog much easier than the 351 with the vv carb.

In 1991 Calif. police package cars were almost all 351s. The State admitted that they made a big mistake when ordering them as a 351. They assumed that they were fuel injected. like the 302s. In the higher elevations the 351 could not handle pursuit work well at all. After that mistake in ordering a huge number of 91 CVs, the contract for State orders spelled out that the car/truck be fuel injected.
        In 1990 the STATE of CA. did not order 90 CVs for police work. Some City and County agencies did. 1991 State,County and City ordered them. Last year for the boxes.

Comment

Wish i had a slicktop car...but the 351 seems a waste. Have considered doing an SEFI Windsor though. I mean, unless they looked real close, nobody would ever know. There's a 408W/4r70 combo on corral...

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            ...In 1991 Calif. police package cars were almost all 351s. The State admitted that they made a big mistake when ordering them as a 351. They assumed that they were fuel injected...
            Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Wish i had a slicktop car...but the 351 seems a waste...
            Definitely a mistake, waste & do not buy in my book
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Buy 351 only if you plan to mod the hell out of it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yea, stock there isn't much special about the 351 other than it gives you proper brackets for the AC compressor and a donor block to start with. No reason you can't make it a whole lot better though.

of course the same can be said for the 302.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Has anyone dropped a 460... in a late eighties box? Is it possible?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Is it LincolnLarry that has the big-block in his townie? Somebody here knows. Yes, it is possible. I'd be happy with a 408 windsor with efi, and maybe a blower. Ya know, just for kicks.

Comment

Yes. Here's the thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ct-in-progress

It is possible... but talk about a tight fit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've thought a few times that a big block with a five- or six-speed in a tudor would be a nice homage to the 7-litre Galaxies of yesteryear.
                        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

For the power you can get out of a smallblock its hard to justify the shoehorn required for the big block. 351 with aluminum heads should weigh similar to a 302 with iron so you won't incur a handling penalty either.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am underwhelmed at the power output of big blocks, Chevy and Ford really. For what they invest, 600 or 750HP just doesn't justify sub 500 cubes when the same figures could be had out of small block LS engines or 500 HP from a 302 or something. Can't match the torque though.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                            X