Valve Covers in a Box w/ 351W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Covers in a Box w/ 351W

Are the stock valve covers the only ones that will fit under the wiper motor cover? It looks like once I get under the wiper motor, the plastic cover that it mounts to becomes an issue. I have to mess with it some. Has anybody run a taller-than-stock VC with a 1.7 rocker arm ratio? If so, what brand (part#)?

Just thought about something (yes, it happens every once in a while); what is underneath the black plastic cover that the wiper motor mounts to? I'm wondering if I can take a heat gun, heat the bottom of that cover, and press it upwards a little to create a dome for clearance.

Comment

The crank arm on the wiper motor itself is right there, along with the linkage rods. Push into that too much and the wiper transmission will not be able to move.

I don't remember what Phayzer was running on his, but I'm reasonably sure it still had a wiper motor in it. They were not factory valve covers but thats all I remember.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 351 valve covers on the police cars were taller than that of the SEFI covers.

Comment

I think you may be right on that. They look a lot like the CFI stamped steel covers, which I think are taller than SEFI stamped. Those boring old SEFI covers have a lot of available space inside, so you may be OK for clearance. I'm running 1985 stock aluminum Mustang covers with 1.7 Scorpion rockers and it works. Possible there is only the thickness of a sheet of paper in there, but nothing hits and it hasn't broken the valve cover yet.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my edelbrock performer heads with the stud-mount conversion kit it makes the rocker setup really tall. When i did the top-end on the other car i had to get tall motorsport valve covers to clear all the shit. If you're running pedestal rockers on stock or pedestal heads, you shouldn't need a very tall cover.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will mess with it over the weekend and see what can be done. I got FMS valve covers at a swap meet and it just might be them being super tall.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                On my edelbrock performer heads with the stud-mount conversion kit it makes the rocker setup really tall. When i did the top-end on the other car i had to get tall motorsport valve covers to clear all the shit. If you're running pedestal rockers on stock or pedestal heads, you shouldn't need a very tall cover.
                Some of the aftermarket heads have a taller valve cover mating surface than factory production ford heads. So a shorter valve cover may be able to be used. However in some cases, the additional height there may cause clearance issues. Then again, I don't know exactly how much taller those ones are. I believe the Trickflow heads have raised valve cover surface.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Some of the aftermarket heads have a taller valve cover mating surface than factory production ford heads. So a shorter valve cover may be able to be used. However in some cases, the additional height there may cause clearance issues. Then again, I don't know exactly how much taller those ones are. I believe the Trickflow heads have raised valve cover surface.
                  Yeah the problem i think was that they were pedestal-mount heads with the conversion, so the rocker mounting surface ends up a lot higher, creating clearance problems. Same shit is going on my 347 since i already have the valve covers and stuff anyway. Unless of course i score a set of afr's in the meantime for a great deal.

Comment

The ones I'm running were a set of cheap chrome clad ones from a Ford Racing appearance kit i got way back in the day. I've only had them installed on my 408, and that had stud mounted 1.72 scorpion roller rockers. Never took the covers off with the engine in the car, only on a stand outside. They do in fact make it a bitch to reinstall engine/trans at the same time, but my 7qt oil pan probably deserves more of the blame for that

edit: here's a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170524_234500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1284759
                    Last edited by phayzer5; 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I have a 7qt Canton pan myself. Even with my engine mounted, it's still a tight fit. Fighting with the valve cover studs that came with the valve covers. The shop either torqued them down; and/or used Lock-Tite. I will double jam nut the studs and get them off; then see if I can get the valve cover back on and see what I have to work with.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1284762

Comment

skip the valve cover studs, there isn't enough room. I've got a set that I tried using but I couldn't get the valve covers in position. 1/4-20 stainless hardware works though, can go with socket key cap screws if you want something a little fancier looking.

Comment

I use two studs strictly for aligning the covers and gaskets back in place.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

They work for that but having studs permanently under that wiper box would make removing the valve covers a huge PITA. The alignment studs I use for the intake are awful handy too but it would make removing the lower intake a huge PITA if they lived there full time.

Comment

Agreed. Studs for install reasons only. Otherwise removing things become an absolute chore/impossible.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X