No announcement yet.

Valve Covers in a Box w/ 351W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I pull the studs out, I will replace them with Allen head bolts. There is a hardware store a few miles from me that has all of that stuff. I didn't know enough at the time the engine was rebuilt that the stud kit would be this much trouble. Otherwise, I would have gone a different route. But then again, many things with this project became unforeseen problems :-/ Live and learn

Comment

Baffles in the valve covers; what purpose do they serve? Can I live without them?

Comment

If there is a baffle below the oil fill tube you may have engine oil sucked up into the throttle body if it gets removed.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Keeps oil from getting sucked up through the PCV or pushed back out the vent, depending what it is doing. Also helps keep it from splashing the bottom of the fill cap and causing it to leak.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay. I am thinking of getting the Ford Racing EFI valve covers that I got a decade ago and removing the baffle(s) to fit the 1.7rr. I have a oil/air separator to help with keeping oil out of the intake. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it. This is assuming that my current valve covers won't fit under the wiper trans cover.

Comment

test fit them to see if the baffles need to be removed first.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can always "shrink" the baffles too. I'd much prefer that to removing them.

Comment

I was able to remove the factory covers from my 351 car with the engine in the car, no trouble.

The factory stamped covers also had more height to them than the 302 ones.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I have been using the 90s stamped steel Explorer, etc valve covers with 1.7 roller rockers

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^I might try that option if all else fails^^^^^^^^^^^

Currently, I am giving some thought to cutting a square out of the wiper transmission cover; installing the engine; and epoxy the square back onto the wiper trans cover. I tried to remove the wiper trans cover a month ago and even with Kroil and a 1/4" drive ratchet, I snapped the first 2 bolts off. Cutting is now the most viable option I can think of. Also want to see how much room I have to play with when the cover is cut open.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                        I have been using the 90s stamped steel Explorer, etc valve covers with 1.7 roller rockers
                        What brand rocker arms? The crane/93 cobra reproductions will clear stock valve covers. Which is what the explorer rocker arms are with a removable neck.

Comment

yeah, boring stock Vic covers are pretty roomy inside, and no stupid rubbernecker nonsense.

I'm using 1985 Mustang finned aluminum covers with 1.7 Scorpion rockers and no clearance issues.

Comment

Semi-threadjack, since I'm about to do the valve cover gaskets on my '86 5.0, and I've got a set of "POWER BY FORD" VCs off a mid-80s Mustang. Gadget, do you have a picture of your valve covers? What did you do for PCV?
                            Thanks!

Comment

PCV is in the stock location in the rear of the intake. For the air supply, I'm using an original 1980s oil fill cap with the PCV, but I cut the bottom off the PCV valve so its just an elbow. I simply have a hose from there to the throttle body connection.

Only have this pic handy. Others may exist but I generally don't take many pics and have never been very good about keeping them. Painting these was a huge pain in the ass, involving lots of time with masking tape and razor blades to get it two-tone. The grey is Duplicolor cast coat iron, the blue is Ford Blue.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0619_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1285398

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                PCV is in the stock location in the rear of the intake. For the air supply, I'm using an original 1980s oil fill cap with the PCV, but I cut the bottom off the PCV valve so its just an elbow. I simply have a hose from there to the throttle body connection.

Only have this pic handy. Others may exist but I generally don't take many pics and have never been very good about keeping them. Painting these was a huge pain in the ass, involving lots of time with masking tape and razor blades to get it two-tone. The grey is Duplicolor cast coat iron, the blue is Ford Blue.[ATTACH=CONFIG]52056[/ATTACH]
                                Did you have to run an intake spacer in order to for the upper intake to clear the valve covers?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X