PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Covers in a Box w/ 351W

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

test fit them to see if the baffles need to be removed first.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

You can always "shrink" the baffles too. I'd much prefer that to removing them.

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

I was able to remove the factory covers from my 351 car with the engine in the car, no trouble.

The factory stamped covers also had more height to them than the 302 ones.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Vineyard car
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

I have been using the 90s stamped steel Explorer, etc valve covers with 1.7 roller rockers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

^^^^^^^^^^^I might try that option if all else fails^^^^^^^^^^^

Currently, I am giving some thought to cutting a square out of the wiper transmission cover; installing the engine; and epoxy the square back onto the wiper trans cover. I tried to remove the wiper trans cover a month ago and even with Kroil and a 1/4" drive ratchet, I snapped the first 2 bolts off. Cutting is now the most viable option I can think of. Also want to see how much room I have to play with when the cover is cut open.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercracer View Post
    I have been using the 90s stamped steel Explorer, etc valve covers with 1.7 roller rockers
    What brand rocker arms? The crane/93 cobra reproductions will clear stock valve covers. Which is what the explorer rocker arms are with a removable neck.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

yeah, boring stock Vic covers are pretty roomy inside, and no stupid rubbernecker nonsense.

I'm using 1985 Mustang finned aluminum covers with 1.7 Scorpion rockers and no clearance issues.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Semi-threadjack, since I'm about to do the valve cover gaskets on my '86 5.0, and I've got a set of "POWER BY FORD" VCs off a mid-80s Mustang. Gadget, do you have a picture of your valve covers? What did you do for PCV?
    Thanks!

PCV is in the stock location in the rear of the intake. For the air supply, I'm using an original 1980s oil fill cap with the PCV, but I cut the bottom off the PCV valve so its just an elbow. I simply have a hose from there to the throttle body connection.

Only have this pic handy. Others may exist but I generally don't take many pics and have never been very good about keeping them. Painting these was a huge pain in the ass, involving lots of time with masking tape and razor blades to get it two-tone. The grey is Duplicolor cast coat iron, the blue is Ford Blue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0619_resized.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	52056

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    PCV is in the stock location in the rear of the intake. For the air supply, I'm using an original 1980s oil fill cap with the PCV, but I cut the bottom off the PCV valve so its just an elbow. I simply have a hose from there to the throttle body connection.

Only have this pic handy. Others may exist but I generally don't take many pics and have never been very good about keeping them. Painting these was a huge pain in the ass, involving lots of time with masking tape and razor blades to get it two-tone. The grey is Duplicolor cast coat iron, the blue is Ford Blue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0619_resized.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	52056
    Did you have to run an intake spacer in order to for the upper intake to clear the valve covers?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Yeah, I think its a 1/2" spacer.

Thanks! I just ordered a 1/2" spacer. I've got the same valve covers on my 87 F150, but that intake is high above the valve covers...would have been a surprise on the CV for sure! I used a breather style cap, and it's a SD truck, so there's no unmetered air to worry about.
    Last edited by bgreywolf; 05-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.

mine is mass air, so it needs the connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12