Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Car upgrading to soft close trunk

Hello,

I wanna upgrade my base 88 Town Car with some extras and I want to start with the soft close trunk. Maybe this isn't a good idea? I read some topics about not working trunk locks?!

Just bought the mechanism on ebay but I think I'm missing a bracket or something else because ich can't mount it on the original mounting points.

Here are two pictures of the parts I got:

And that's my actual trunk latch:

Maybe someone has some picture of the mounted mechanism or got some advise for me?

Is the floor cover part of the lower latch the same or do i need another one because of the motorunit?

Thanks,

Gerald
    1988 Lincoln Town Car
    1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

85CrownHPP added one to his Crown Vic a couple years ago. Might PM him to get the details.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There is a bracket missing, yes. It's a bent piece of steel that mounts to the bolt holes on the body and then the motor assembly mounts to that bracket.

I might have one among my various junk. If not, I can find one in a junkyard in the future if nobody else has one available (I do not imagine these parts are easy to find in Austria).

My '84 Town Car has this feature and I'll gladly take any photos that might be able to help you if you can't find the info you need.

Is your car already wired to support this feature? If you need the connectors/wiring out of a junkyard car I may be able to get those.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I did this years ago, so my memory of the process is a little hazy. It wasn't terribly hard once I got all the parts though.

yeah, its missing the bracket.

You'll need the wire harness that goes on the trunk lid itself too. It has a couple more wires in it for the latch switch. I want to say there is another connector on that harness, but its hanging out on the car somewhere near the hinge. The connector for the motor should be taped into the harness that runs along inside the trunk. Give it a look and you should find a lump covered in tape.
        Other details

you'll need the tail on the lock cylinder. Its longer. The cylinder needs to come out, then you can rock the tail out. Its held in with a little retaining clip. Cylinder also has a clip, it goes up from the bottom.

The carpet panel for the bottom of the trunk has a larger cutout for the motor. There is also a plastic cover that goes over the motor.

I don't remember if the trunk lid carpet panel is different. I doubt it, but it'll need to come down to fish the wiring in, install the latch, and deal with the lock cylinder anyway.

I do clearly remember that other than swapping the harness on the trunk lid, I didn't have to modify or add any wiring to the car. It was just a matter of plugging things in.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply's

@kishy wow that's a nice offer from you, I appreciate that very much.

I've found that motor wiring, so I've to look up for the lid connector!

@gadget73 Thanks for the detailed description for this conversion.

Maybe someone has a picture of the mounted motor unit so i can image how the bracket looks like and to see the cover /panel.

Thanks a lot,

Gerald
          1988 Lincoln Town Car
          1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Comment

I just acquired the entire set of parts for this, bracket included, at a junkyard today. If you want the bracket and associated bolts (and I may have the wiring pigtails, but only a few inches of wire) then PM me and we can figure out what it will cost to get it to you.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Its a neat upgrade. I followed Petes thread and did one myself years back. Wont be hard to wire in at all for you once you acquire the proper pieces.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
              X