Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

code 56 98

how to fix

56 is usually a bad MAF or a short in the wiring. You're getting full 5v reference voltage back to the ECM.

98 is probably because of the MAF. Its a hard fault in the ECM, basically meaning some sensor input is completely bonkers and its ignoring things.

try unplugging the MAF and see if the codes change. If they do not, examine the wiring between ECM and MAF for shorts. If they do, the MAF is probably dinked.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what Gadget said...

56 is MAF circuit above maximum voltage.

98 is FMEM (failure mode effects managment) which means the ECM is ignoring the signal from the MAF and running on a previous, good static value.

faulty/incorrect wiring or failed MAF.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Found couple wires frayed took them apart and re-solder them now everything is fixed now my problem is it doesn’t wanna start when it reaches temperature
        195 up starts up cold and when it’s below 160.

Comment

Last time I had issues with that, it was the engine coolant temp sensor pigtail. Check all the temp sensors to make sure they're working and check the wire harness for them to make sure they have continuity back to the ECM. Unless it's not cranking at all... that would be the thermal lockout in the starter gone to crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

changed coolant temp sensor and act also.ill check wires next

Comment

all wires are good

Comment

Have you verified that the new sensors are good?
                ECT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page28.html
                ACT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page29.html
                test them cold... warm it up and then test them again. If they don't change, you got a bad one. The ACT may not change much, but it should get a little warmer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

sensors are good checked codes got code 11 on koeo koer
                  Last edited by rellik god; 10-23-2018, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Weird. Guess something that was unplugged and plugged back in had a bad connection and that solved it.

Comment

doesn’t wanna start when it reaches temperature problem still have

Comment

you measured the sensors at temperature to confirm they read properly when warm ? They can give faulty readings but still within the range of ECM acceptable so it won't code.

Does it start if you add some throttle?
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There were times the Mad Marquis would take a full 5 seconds to crank over.

Comment

measured the sensors at temperature

Comment

your starter sounds slow and uneven. Might be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X